Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016

These are cheap IR stations with small heating elements for something like phones boards. Toys compared to what is needed.

You will need one 10x bigger 10x costlier IR BGA station with programable ramps for repairing a massive multilayer PCB like a CPU tray, even something more decent like an IR6500 that costs ~$1k to be useable suffers for something bigger, like a big modern GPU. See dosdude videos to see what are needed for the small MacBook/MacBook Pro boards.

You probably can get away with an IR12000 to work with a CPU tray if you have lot's of experience and access to an oven to do the initial whole board pre-heat, but even that starts at $1.3k for the base station, without the multiple supports/tools/etc - good stencils are expensive. A Mac Pro backplane needs a massive PCB pre-heater, that will cost you something like $1k for an entry level one of the size needed.

BTW, what is really costly is not the equipment, but the hours of training/experience and all the damage someone learning will do. Re-balling something bigger like a northbridge is a highly specialized craft, not everyone is capable to do it.

Last edited:

Muziekschuur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2023
Thank you. Just 10 years ago all this kind of equipment wasn't around. Stuff like this was in the development laboratory. Now it is available for purchase.

Based on the cost of new recording equipment this stuff is a steal.

Stuff like this ... to finetune a tube amplifier with components that have like 10% drift...

It's mindblowing really.

Muziekschuur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2023
I am not afraid to spend 2k on equipment like this. I did it before. Tools are important to me. Even if I only use it a couple of times.

In a recording studio. Stuff like that in a backroom to keep equipment going.... It's a no brainer compared to downtime. Then... I don't have the skill level... Bring someone in who has....

So... I mean that's the power of a forum like this. A guy in a country has one, knows how to do it... Within a couple of months the guy has a side hustle.

Muziekschuur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2023
Last edited:

Muziekschuur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2023
My (new to me) dual cpu tray arrived. Just unwrapped. I will give it a once over tomorrow. Just got back from work. We'll see if and how it works.

More goodies on the way.

Muziekschuur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2023
It posts now with 16gb ram. It shows two cpu's of 2,66ghz. So two quadcores. We are making progress.

Muziekschuur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2023
Now inserted 128 gb ram. First filled first 4 slots (on the side you see 1,4 on the front slots and 6 to 8 on the back 4 slots.) It booted with 64 gb ram. Then filled the other four. And now it boots with 128gb ram.

Mission accomplished. More upgrades will follow.
It has an OWC pci-e card with a 512GB ssd (thus running at full sata3 speed (600mb/s) and in a blue tray another 128gb ssd (running at 300mb/s max).

Last edited:

Muziekschuur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2023
Memory (RAM)Avid's website lists 8GB as the minimum, but later says “32GB or more recommended”. For real-world workloads and because multi-tasking is so common these days, we advise 64GB of memory as a baseline with options to go up to 128GB for more complex projects.

Muziekschuur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2023
Quote: "The advantage of registered ECC memory in a workstation is underrated". Do you agree? And why or why not (offcourse).

Muziekschuur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2023
Two delidded x5690's showed up. Alltho.... there is no way of knowing without the lid.

Or is there?

Muziekschuur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2023
Two new cpu's installed. 2x 6 core x5690's. With 128gb ram. That's actually insane. Now It will sit untill I can install a avid HD native.

It said the system has thunderbolt. But I am quite sure this 4.1 dualcore does not have thunderbolt.... I dunno.

I was looking for something that looks the same as the Windows cpu monitor.

Muziekschuur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2023
Has anyone ever put dipswitches on drive bays of a Mac Pro? So the Mac can be on but the drives are off and only on for storage?

Muziekschuur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2023
I will elaborate on this thread as the expansions of the machine are arriving and installed. The machine was acquired for a Digital Workstation application. Taking advantage of secondhand buying power and expanding the system using the PCI-E slots.

I believe this system will be at least to be 4 times more powerful then I need it to be. I will allso expand the system with analog processingpower. Meaning the load on the machine is reduced.

Because this journey started with the purchase of a Digidesign Control24 I was drawn to the Mac Pro 5.1. At this moment the open core hack means the 4.1/5.1 platform can take advantage of 64 bit OS'es. And since Microsoft is locking down Windows 11 'the right to repair' and 'the right to own software' needs defending.

If you mix right the major thoughtproces is done before the recording. Since I have had years of experience with Pro Audio I hope this journey will be just that.

Thank you for reading.

Currently evaluating what is going on with Sonoma and Open Core. I have seen true Unix in a professional environment and I know how stable these kernels are. To have this with a Mac Os BSD environment is very appealing for a Music work station.

Muziekschuur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2023
I purchased three digidesign hd accel pci-e cards.
These will be for a second system I am planning. I wonder if hd accel cards would work over thunderbolt in the newest Pro tools. But I am guessing it's not.

Muziekschuur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2023
D38FF535-F22F-47C4-BFE2-77D521617585.png

Muziekschuur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2023
Another Mac Pro ordered. This time a true 5.1. I will see once it arrives. A 1 tb ssd ordered and 128 gb samsung registered ecc ram ordered. It should arrive with Snow leopard. To accommodate Pro tools 10HD and the above HD accel cards.

Muziekschuur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2023
What benefit will a gtx 660 2gb with Mac boot screen give me in Mac OSX mountain lion? Over the stock Mac graphic cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.