Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glacialv2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2016
Hi,

For the past few days, I've been attempting to install Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit on my Mid-2010 21.5" iMac for my little brother using Bootcamp Assistant. After finding out that my iMac won't allow installation from a USB, I tried to do it with the DVD way.
I borrowed some blank DVD's (both in the format of DVD-R and DVD+R 4.7GB) from a friend and I burnt so many Windows 7 ISO's to these discs using these software:

Windows 7 USB/DVD Tool
ImgBurn
Disk Utility
Burn

When I run Bootcamp assistant, I make the partition and when the iMac restarts, it goes to a black screen saying "No bootable device - press any key to continue" and nothing happens after that. I can't press any key or eject the disc, only way yo get pass this is to shut down the iMac. I'm pretty sure we burnt the ISO to the discs correctly, though I'm not sure if we did it correctly using ImgBurn (my friend did it, he clicked Write Image to Disc and burnt it at the slowest possible speed).

I thought the built-in SuperDrive had problems because whenever I inserted a disc, it would eject it after like 20-30 seconds and even if it didn't, Bootcamp would say something like "The installer disc was not found". I bought an external USB optical drive and it actually solves the "The installer disc could not be found" problem. But I still get the no bootable device error so it's something to do with the discs. I tried to boot from the DVD by holding Option/Alt and selecting the DVD but same error occurs.

Sorry for the long read, I just wanted to be thorough and clear as possible because I'm really frustrated at the moment. Had to purchase another set of blank DVD-R's because I ran out. Any help would be appreciated, thanks a lot!

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I thought the built-in SuperDrive had problems because whenever I inserted a disc, it would eject it after like 20-30 seconds and even if it didn't, Bootcamp would say something like "The installer disc was not found". I bought an external USB optical drive and it actually solves the "The installer disc could not be found" problem. But I still get the no bootable device error so it's something to do with the discs. I tried to boot from the DVD by holding Option/Alt and selecting the DVD but same error occurs.

I don't believe you can install Windows 7 on that machine from an external optical drive since the iMac already has a built in drive. Try cleaning the iMac's optical drive with a can of compressed air. Blow a few blasts into the drive and then try again with your burned copy.

glacialv2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2016
I don't believe you can install Windows 7 on that machine from an external optical drive since the iMac already has a built in drive. Try cleaning the iMac's optical drive with a can of compressed air. Blow a few blasts into the drive and then try again with your burned copy.

Alright, I'll try do that but I'll have to go buy one first haha. Any steps on how I should properly burn the Windows 7 ISO file to a DVD using which software?

EDIT: Before, my SuperDrive actually worked a couple days prior to this thread and read the disc but I still got the same error when the Mac restarted.

Last edited:

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Alright, I'll try do that but I'll have to go buy one first haha. Any steps on how I should properly burn the Windows 7 ISO file to a DVD using which software?

EDIT: Before, my SuperDrive actually worked a couple days prior to this thread and read the disc but I still got the same error when the Mac restarted.

If you have a good ISO, you should be able to burn it to disk using any program that will work. I use the free open source "Burn" which has always worked for me.

glacialv2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2016
If you have a good ISO, you should be able to burn it to disk using any program that will work. I use the free open source "Burn" which has always worked for me.

Just tried to clean the SuperDrive using compressed air, I don't think it worked because it said the disc was blank (I'm 100% sure I burned it correctly using ImgBurn) and Bootcamp couldn't recognise the installer disc.

Saw a thread on Apple Forum that my problem may be related to OS X Mountain Lion, so I'm currently upgrading to El Capitan.

glacialv2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2016
Oh, finally, YES! It worked. Updating from ML to El Capitan actually worked - I can't believe it. Man, I don't know why exactly it worked but Apple really needs to fix this.. caused me a lot of stress.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.