Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grmacs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2020
No camera dosdude Catalina patcher on 2011 mbp 15”.

I’ve used the patcher on this model a number of times and I recently have one that the camera does not work with the unsupported Catalina patch unless it’s in safe boot. This is a fresh install w no additional apps or installations. the camera also works with other operating systems booted on the same machine.

ive tried messing with the patches installed to see if any are causing this but to no avail.

I’ve also tried running killall in terminal and doing smc and PRAM resets etc...

Being it’s a fresh install and patch and camera runs in safe boot, I have to think it is related to the patch software but I’ve done this many times on the same model without an issue?!?!?

mr1098

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2018
Same here on an 2011 MBP 17" -- confirmed that the camera only works in a safe boot.

NoCamInCatalina.png

ok, a bit more digging and this smells like a permissions issue. This is what happens when I plug in a USB cam:

Built-in!?!?!?!?!

CamDetected.png

But, when I go into Photo Booth I still get "There is no connected camera." ?

dosdude + friends, please help if you can.

Last edited:

Grmacs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2020
I’ve seen this happen a number of times when loading Catalina on 2011 15” but usually if not always was on 2011 15” that still had the dedicated gpu running. Once that’s disabled and reloaded, issues with camera or dvd not working were resolved. 2010 15” dvd never works with Catalina patch that I’ve seen.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
The iSight not working was a known issue on several versions of the patcher, so I’d assume that the issue still exists in Catalina.

From the Known Issues part of the Mojave patcher page: “Built-in iSight cameras: Currently, built-in iSight cameras do not work correctly on some machines. It seems to be hit or miss, but when installing, expect your iSight camera to be non-functional.”

pablo26

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2020
Disabling the gpu works, but screen mirroring stops working, any solution?

strites

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2021
La Spezia
Hello
I have a 13 inch 2011 MacBook without dedicated GPU

What is the reason that camera works with safeboot but doesn't with normal boot?

Tomcat45

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2022
This worked for me save isight patch install for last do all rest first then do the isight patch last

rdfincher

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Mine is a late 2011 15 in MBP 8.2, with dual boot for both Mojave or Catalina, using dosdude patches. Camera worked in Mojave but not Catalina until I disabled the dedicated GPU - ref post #7 above. The camera now works under both OS's for PhotoBooth and Zoom. Haven't checked AirPlay, but I do have AirParrot as an alternative casting app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.