Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

othersongs

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
canada
I just bought the new Tiger Woods 08 for mac from EA.

Great game. However, I have a mac book pro and I travel a lot. I hate to have to have the dvd with me at all times if I ever want to play the game.

I am wondering if there is a way to alter the game so I don't always have to pop the dvd in to play.

I know this is for security reasons, but for me its not a pirating issue, its an issue of inconvenience.

Any tips?

Thanks

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
For the old Football Manager I just created a disk image of the disk and mounted that each time I wanted to play.

kaltsasa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2002
Kellogg IA
The new EA games wrapped in Cider are tricky, usually I just make a toast image of all my game disks but this doesn't work with C&C (and the other cider games I hear). Apparently they use some sort of direct access to the disk drive to validate the game, thus you need the original disk in to play them. Even a toast image doesn't work because as I understand it the games use some odd direct access to the disk. Apparently certain external DVD drives don't work with the EA games because of this.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
how do i make an image of the disc? Does toast titanium do this?

Perhaps but i don't know, you can do it in Disk Utility. Pop the disk in open disk utility. Select the dsik and the New Image. However as discussed above it'll probably not work.

J

jasdelta

Perhaps but i don't know, you can do it in Disk Utility. Pop the disk in open disk utility. Select the dsik and the New Image. However as discussed above it'll probably not work.

A .dmg file will not work, I have tried it. Notice that when the game is started the original disc image on your desktop will disappear from view, so the game accesses the disc in some manner, then it reappears when the game is shut down.

Not sure what the solution might be.

Jim

kaltsasa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2002
Kellogg IA
The new EA games (Cider wrapped) access the drives through some sort of direct method that unmounts the disk from the OS. Images won't work, the only current solution is keeping the disk in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.