Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Hi guys,

Sorry if this has been covered before but I couldn't find it on a brief search I made.

I've just installed the battery update (released on 18 Dec) for my PowerBook (12" DVI) and now the Finder doesn't recognise any CD-Rs or DVD-Rs. They do not appear on the desktop or in the Finder. I am running 10.3.1.

Firstly let me just explain my situation. I left uni on Dec 17th (with broadband connection) and came home to our measly dial-up. 10.3.2 was released the following day at a whopping 36MB. The next problem is that my parents have "misplaced" my PowerBook G4 box containing the warranty, software restore CDs and modem cable so I can't connect my Mac to the internet while I'm home! We have no wireless network and (as stupid as it sounds) I can't seem to get the modem cable out of our Dell without the risk of breaking it! I've also tried to connect to the internet via ethernet and the Dell but without success. So I'm stuck with 10.3.1 for the time being (over 2 weeks), and this post coming from Satan's backside.

Tonight, I couldn't resist any longer and downloaded the battery update as it was only 200k. I transferred it to my 32MB USB drive and got it onto my Mac and installed it. Everything was then fine except for one kernal panic about 10 mins after the restart.

Now I can't get any CD-Rs or DVD-Rs to appear in the Finder. Embarassing because my brother had asked me to copy a CD for my sister and I had wanted to show him how easy it was with a Mac. Anyway, after trying 4 different brands of disc (including Apple DVD-Rs), I decided just to burn the CD from iTunes. It worked no problem.

I guess that means it is not a problem with my Superdrive, but a software-related one instead. It has got to be due to the battery update. Has anyone else had any similar problems? I seem to remember some complaints about 10.3.1 causing mounting problems in the Finder but I can't find any of those now. I haven't had any problems with Panther and 10.3.1 up until now. Anyone shed any light? Will 10.3.2 fix this? Is it worth enduring the multi-hour 10.3.2 download on my PC (with it wanting to constantly disconnect) and then networking the file across?

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Ok, I'm stupid! :p :rolleyes:

A trip to our attic to put the Christmas stuff away meant I could have a good old search and I've found my PowerBook box with modem cable. So I've downloaded the standalone 10.3.2 with the help of Download Wizard! But I've just released that my 'problem' has nothing to do with this!

I had changed the CD/DVD options to ignore a blank disc rather than "Ask me what to do". I just released that you have to enable that and then name the disc before it will mount! So everything is hunkydory again. Sorry about that!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.