Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

August West

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2009
Land of Enchantment
Not sure if this is an iOS issue or phone issue.

On my Xs Max running 15.2.1 w/Verizon prepaid plan I'm having a strange issue. Several of the Apple Apps (Maps, Stocks, News) are unable to update when using cell data only.

For example if I start the Maps app it loads fine but will not populate the maps and just sits there unresponsive. Same with Stocks and News. Cell data is turned on for all the problem apps. The second I turn on Wi-Fi everything is good. Third party apps also have no problem with cell data. Phone & Messages fine too.

I take the SIM and put it in my 6s Plus and all the same problem apps are able to use cell data no problem so it's not the SIM or carrier I don't believe.

I'm thinking of doing a Network Settings reset to start and a Full reset if that doesn't work but thought I check to see if anybody had any ideas before I start doing resets.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Haven’t experienced this before myself but a network settings reset sounds like a good start.

August West

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2009
Land of Enchantment
I finally figured it out. A while ago I had installed an app called "Lockdown" which setup a VPN profile and it was blocking the data connection to my Apple apps. Removed the profile and everything is back to normal.

Reactions: ericwn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.