Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jon20001

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2017
iPhone: 38.961334,-77.006119
Anyone else experiencing charging issues?
I have a Series 6 I keep updated and have never had an issue. After the 8.3 update, my watch no longer charges using a third-party puck. Charges fine with Apple-supplied puck. Is it possible Apple added code to disable third-party chargers?

Stankonia

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2009
Denver, CO
I've been getting this same issue with my Series 5/3rd party charger; started right after updating to 8.3. The charge indicator will come on, but it apparently stops shortly after.

Saw elsewhere that rebooting the watch and phone helps, but it didn't for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jon20001

willdude

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2010
Same issue here on my S5 w/ third party charger. Rebooting watch and phone didn’t help. The Apple charger seems to work fine.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Which 3rd party charger isn’t working? I am currently traveling and using the Apple Duo folding travel charger. At home, we use Belkin triple charger for the iPhone, Apple Watch, and AirPods, but I cannot test it right now.

Jon20001

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2017
iPhone: 38.961334,-77.006119
Which 3rd party charger isn’t working? I am currently traveling and using the Apple Duo folding travel charger. At home, we use Belkin triple charger for the iPhone, Apple Watch, and AirPods, but I cannot test it right now.
I am using two pretty generic chargers -- no name brands. Worked perfectly with 8.2. Not the charger, as it still powers my older non 8.3 watches.

bensonr2

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2021
Same with my third party 3 in 1 charger (no name brand, but seemed pretty solidly built). It took me 2 days to realize what's going on. It goes green on the charger when you first put it on but if you watch it after a few minutes you will see it stop charging.

The Applewatch subreddit is full of people complaining about third party chargers.

The question is whether Apple deliberately bricked third party chargers or if its an oversight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.