Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

addamas

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 20, 2016
Hello,
I found it really weird and I am trying to not put a tin foil on my head… but my iPad Pro 2018 since Beta 4 DOES NOT CHARGE when used USB-A to USB-C cables which were working before (Actually never had charging problems with this iPad, charged from everything and even from 20W solar panels).
Reported via Feedback app as FB12821818 if someone would like to reference.

IPad Pro 2018 11” has USB-C for ages and this is first time ever that it’s not even charging at extreme low speeds as it could show a cable defect or something getting wrong with charging handshake or whatever it is called.
I just bought in IKEA one more cable and the story is the same out of box (yellow gummy SITTBRUNN USB-A USB-C)

Forced power reset (Volume up, down, hold Power button until Apple logo), Restart, Turn off and restart - each of these did not helped on this.

Test Details:
Each time I checked multiple cables with and without KEWEISI power meter:
- 2x braided from IKEA (LILLHULT)
- 1x yellow gummy from IKEA (SITTBRUNN)
- few other Chinese we-must-include-something-in-the-box

On each of them power meter shows 5V 0A drained out of USB-A port. This is extremely weird as even my the slowest charging devices consumes at minimum 5V 0.05A for slowest charge via USB-C using the same cables.
iPad is not blinking the charging, just not starting charge at all when used with and without this meter.

Test Cases:
a) Romoss 40k 22,5W PD capable (2x USB-A, 1x USB-C outputs) - iPad is charging only using USB-C USB-C cables, when plugged to any of 2 USB-A‘s power meter shows 5V 0A .

b) GreenCell 20k 18W PD capable (2x USB-A, 2x USB-C when only one is output) - charging only USB-C USB-C cables, same as above

c) AA cells emergency charger capable of no PD and having only USB-A Output and 1 diode light… the thing - zero charging at all, 5V 0A

d) I-will-outlive-you MacBook Pro 2011 2x USB-A, 0x USB-C capable to deliver 5V 1,5A out of USB-A port (not like Windows crap laptops)… and the same story ZERO charging of iPad but using the same cables other devices are charged… FTH

e) Kanex USB-C hub to minijack, HDMI, USB-C, USB-A 3.0 port minisd and sd cards - not charging when used as a charging donor (plugged USB-C to any source and then plugged USB-A USB-C cable to USB-A port )

f) Crème de la crème:
Apple original 5V 1A USB-A wall plug charger… gives 5V 0A on all cables.

Last edited:

addamas

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 20, 2016
You’re right USB-C is complicated, but I think I forgot important part - these cables were working before (iOS 16, then all previous iPadOS17 Beta) when currently USB-C cables still work but only USB-C USB-C ones (Apple genuine given to iPhone 11 Pro, cable which came with this iPad, 3rd party ones).

Last edited:
Reactions: macsound1

addamas

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 20, 2016
IMG_1766.jpeg
Hooray!

Silently fixed in Beta 6 - til now checked IKEA cables and all gave juice.

emembee

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2013
Surrey,UK
From a new refurb a few weeks ago (12.9)it never charged initially on iOS 16 but then sprang to life intermittently. I persevered a couple of weeks without problems then suddenly went wrong again on beta. Took back to store following restore to 16 where they verified it was an issue, one side was charging fine, if cable flipped over then it did not work, weird. Genius Bar swapped it out for new service model, been fine since, still don’t understand if it is hardware or software issue but fingers crossed all ok. Also just have to give compliments to Apple Store, the guys really were helpful and took only 1 day to get replacement which looks perfect.

• Wow
Reactions: addamas
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.