Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AT0MAC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
Copenhagen, Denmark
Would it make sense to disassemble my Mini and drop the chassis?

When i measure with iStat it looks like the main component for the heat is the power supply! So I think, to loose the chassis so the PSU gets more air could be a good idea - or maybe extend the cables and have it as an external PSU?

-----not actually solved, but not worth the effort :) living with my mini as it is

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Would it make sense to disassemble my Mini and drop the chassis?
No.
When i measure with iStat it looks like the main component for the heat is the power supply!
In most cases, the two primary furnaces are the CPU and GPU.
So I think, to loose the chassis so the PSU gets more air could be a good idea - or maybe extend the cables and have it as an external PSU?
Macs are designed to function properly as they're shipped from Apple. They will manage temperatures and fan speeds as needed to keep temps in a safe operating range, without the need for any interference by the user.

AT0MAC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
Copenhagen, Denmark
No.

In most cases, the two primary furnaces are the CPU and GPU.

Macs are designed to function properly as they're shipped from Apple. They will manage temperatures and fan speeds as needed to keep temps in a safe operating range, without the need for any interference by the user.

You are most likely correct, but then I can't recommend getting a mini with i7 - because that makes it hot... It's an awesome machine and extremely powerfull, but if you utilize that power for heavy computing it's no longer a silent machine due to heat buildups and very poor cooling :(

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
What temps are you seeing?

Maybe it needs a good dusting inside.

My mac mini seems to love to collect dust inside - much more than any of the other computers in the house. It's easy to clean most of the dust out by just remove the bottom cover and using some compressed air around the fan and in the fan tunnel.

AT0MAC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
Copenhagen, Denmark
What temps are you seeing?

Maybe it needs a good dusting inside.

My mac mini seems to love to collect dust inside - much more than any of the other computers in the house. It's easy to clean most of the dust out by just remove the bottom cover and using some compressed air around the fan and in the fan tunnel.

Definitely not a dust problem as I regular have my mini cleaned for the exact same reason ;)
When I push the machine with heavy lifting the PSU can get up to about 80c - and so does the CPU... Not a real problem, machine is working fine it's just noisy as a jet when it's in that heat. Not restarting by it self or responding weird, everything just works.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
if you pulled the mini out of the case and mounted it on a metal grate with proper regard to shorting grounding. then put a fan under the grate I think you could make it work . would it look good maybe that depends on your skills.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IKEA-LAMPLI...aultDomain_0&hash=item2ebbf6571d#ht_500wt_738

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marine-Boat...ear&hash=item53e7983bb3&vxp=mtr#ht_1617wt_723

I can envision using pieces above with nylon standoffs and a large quiet fan that may be good looking

Last edited:

AT0MAC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
Copenhagen, Denmark
if you pulled the mini out of the case and mounted it on a metal grate with proper regard to shorting grounding. then put a fan under the grate I think you could make it work . would it look good maybe that depends on your skills.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IKEA-LAMPLI...aultDomain_0&hash=item2ebbf6571d#ht_500wt_738

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marine-Boat...ear&hash=item53e7983bb3&vxp=mtr#ht_1617wt_723

I can envision using pieces above with nylon standoffs and a large quiet that may be good looking

I have a RackMac Mini my mini is normally encased in, so thought I would just use the spare room in there and mount it somehow. But I think I give up and just learn to live with it - it is afterall rare that I edit videos or do heavy duty graphics work here at home...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.