Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nmaxcom

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
Since upgrading my router (it's my ISP's standard, nothing fancy), every time I open my MBP's lid, I can see it connected to my Wi-Fi, but there's no internet access.

The workaround is pretty simple, turn Wi-Fi off and then right back on. But it's getting old fast.

I've been trying to find out differences between connectivity and not connectivity with ifconfig, networksetup, check if it was only a DNS issue... But alas, I don't know how to troubleshoot this. Everything seemingly works the same (screen capture).

Sometimes, this loss of internet access has happened while using the MacBook...

I haven't tried resetting the PRAM or SMC since it seems pretty clear that there's some miscommunication between the laptop and the AP.

What can I do?

Attachments

• Network 2018-09-09 21-48-39.png
    Network 2018-09-09 21-48-39.png
    188.4 KB · Views: 254

nmaxcom

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
I ended up with no internet access at all. So I remotely rebooted the Router and my MBP and it seems now everything is okay! o_O

Reactions: IngerMan

nmaxcom

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
Ok, it started to happen again shortly after this last post. The whole thing worked well for 4 or 5 days.

There must be a way to know where the connectivity is lost. This intermittency is really annoying.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Does it work other places (Starbucks, work)? And what system are we talking about. If it is a 2016 and later, ensure not USB-C adapter are connected.

nmaxcom

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
Does it work other places (Starbucks, work)? And what system are we talking about. If it is a 2016 and later, ensure not USB-C adapter are connected.

It happened in a hotel stay a few weeks ago. But in my house only started to happen with the new router

macOS Sierra 10.12.6
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017)

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
It happened in a hotel stay a few weeks ago. But in my house only started to happen with the new router

macOS Sierra 10.12.6
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017)

What model router? From what I've read around I've a suspicion there might be some issues with atheros chipset compatibility.

ales876

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2016
Germany
I indeed have sometimes similar behavior. Waking up, icon says connection is there but not browsing works.

Reactions: nmaxcom

matram

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Sweden
Generally I troubleshoot this by first checking that I have internet access by using a IP adress instead of URL.

You may want to try pinging 192.168.0.1 which should be your router if you are on the 192 subnet and then pinging an ip adress on the internet, e.g. 8.8.8.8. I guess this should work for you, then the problem is the DNS server in you router.

You can try "dig cnn.com" for instance to see if your computer can translate URL's to IP addresses. You may get something like this back if everything is OK:

Mats-MBP:~ mats$ dig cnn.com
; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> cnn.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 10159
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 4, AUTHORITY: 13, ADDITIONAL: 1

... snip

;; ANSWER SECTION:
cnn.com. 60 IN A 151.101.65.67
cnn.com. 60 IN A 151.101.1.67
cnn.com. 60 IN A 151.101.193.67

... snip

;; Query time: 21 msec
;; SERVER: 10.0.1.10#53(10.0.1.10)
;; WHEN: Sun Oct 07 15:04:51 CEST 2018
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 324

Name resolutions are cached which can explain why it works for some time after you have used an OK router and then stops working when the cache times out.

Most likely explanation is that your router, being a DHCP server, should provide the adress of a name server and it is not.

The string ";;SERVER" shows which name server is responding, in my case a local name server at 10.0.1.10.

/Mats

nmaxcom

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
What model router? From what I've read around I've a suspicion there might be some issues with atheros chipset compatibility.

This is what router's internal site says: Arcadyan PRV3399B_B_LT

Generally I troubleshoot this by first checking that I have internet access by using a IP adress instead of URL.

You may want to try pinging 192.168.0.1 which should be your router if you are on the 192 subnet and then pinging an ip adress on the internet, e.g. 8.8.8.8. I guess this should work for you, then the problem is the DNS server in you router.

You can try "dig cnn.com" for instance to see if your computer can translate URL's to IP addresses. You may get something like this back if everything is OK:

Yup, thought the same thing. I thought maybe the DNS cache in my laptop or the router got corrupted or something so I tried pinging IP's and even SSHing to my server. And indeed I also checked with host, and it was down too.

So, my laptop is always connected to the router when I wake him, according to MBP's Wifi info and to the fact that I can log into my router. Yet there's no internet access until I go off and on with my laptop's wifi connection. It's weird and very annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.