Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baxterboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2023
The browser on my iphone is chrome.
I would like to set safari as the default browser.
When I go into the safari app in settings, there is no "browser default" option.
Suggestions?

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
The browser on my iphone is chrome.
I would like to set safari as the default browser.
When I go into the safari app in settings, there is no "browser default" option.
Suggestions?
Go to Settings then scroll down to and click Chrome and you should see "Default Browser App". Click on that then it should give you an option to change it.

One would think that setting would also be in Safari, but I don't see it either...

brucemr

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2019
Go to Settings then scroll down to and click Chrome and you should see "Default Browser App". Click on that then it should give you an option to change it.

One would think that setting would also be in Safari, but I don't see it either...
OP has not set chrome as his default (in the chrome settings), ie safari is still his current default browser.

he will see this if he goes to the chrome setting as you told him.

Note…When safari is the current default browser, the option to set default does not appear in Safari in settings.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
OP has not set chrome as his default (in the chrome settings), ie safari is still his current default browser.

Note…When safari is the current default browser, the option to set default does not appear in Safari in settings.
That makes sense why I don’t see it in Safari settings either.

I don’t a big difference in what browser I have set as default so I keep it as Safari and use whatever browser I choose. Links within a browser open in that browser. It’s only when you click a link in a text message or something like that when it used the default browser choice. Of course maybe that’s just with my use.

baxterboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2023

Thanks guys!

On a side note....it's remarkable to me that safari still doesn't, in all these years, have its own in-house a search engine.

Guess it's hard to turn down $15b/year.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Thanks guys!

On a side note....it's remarkable to me that safari still doesn't, in all these years, have its own in-house a search engine.

The good news is you can choose whichever search provider you like to work with safari.

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
Thanks guys!

Why would Apple get into something as boring as search engines?

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Thanks guys!

A search engine and a browser or two totally different things that use different technologies. A search engine is something on the web, but not really "built-in" to the browser. I know they use that term for marketing, but it uses the web search engine that's not part of the browser. Maybe one day will have a browser. that's powerful enough to search the web on its own for stuff. With the way, AI is going I would not be surprised

There were rumors about Apple creating a search engine, but I don't think they can create anything close to what Google has. So called alternative search engines like DuckDuckGo are just piggybacking off of other search engines like Google or Bing. They take what you type in then search it with Google and bring you back the results. I guess it as a layer of privacy but it's not really its own search engine. I think DuckDuckGo was trying to make it or they had their own search engine but I'm not sure if they were able to do that.

I think Apple needs to focus on doing what they do well and doing it better than they're doing it right now. If they need to do anything in the online realm, it's fix Siri. I would make a GoFundMe for Apple to do this 🤣

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
Thanks guys!

It is hard to turn down $15 billion but they may be forced to if the DOJ is able to prove its case against Apple/Google.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.