Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guido.coza

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
South Africa
I don not know what's going on but sadly my desktop seems to exist only on iCloud. I wanted to import a folder i put onto my desktop with a photo editing software and the software could not find the folder. THAN i realised, my desktop only exist on iCloud. If I try to drag it into my acc it does not allow that nor can I move it onto my hard drive.
What is going on here???
Obviously When I open my machine I see the desktop with all the folders on it, but why is it seemingly only stored on iCloud.
Please a simple, step by step way of getting it where it normally is
Screenshot 2022-07-18 at 19.54.50.png Screenshot 2022-07-18 at 19.56.40.png

thv

macrumors regular
May 12, 2022
Looks like you have this checked in System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud Drive options
Screen Shot 2022-07-18 at 2.34.27 PM.png

Reactions: guido.coza

guido.coza

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
South Africa
so how can I get it to "normal" again. Does apple now dictate me what is stored on cloud and what not. Can I not decide which items of the desktop are stored and which documents in particular ?? Is there just one or the other option??
I 98% sure before the crash I decided which folders are stored on cloud and which ones not. And I am 99,5% sure that the desktop was still on my computer!

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
so how can I get it to "normal" again.
Uncheck the highlighted box in post #2. But I think you misunderstand what happened. You said in post #1:
I wanted to import a folder i put onto my desktop with a photo editing software and the software could not find the folder.
You desktop documents are still there, and any software will be able to find them if you point out the location. Navigate to iCloud > Desktop and there they are!
Does apple now dictate me what is stored on cloud and what not. Can I not decide which items of the desktop are stored and which documents in particular ??
Apple does not dictate. You specifically told Apple that you wanted your desktop documents stored on iCloud. It's your choice. You can still store documents locally on your machine by putting them in folders that only exist on your machine. Your user account folder is not on iCloud, so anything you put there is only on your machine.

Here is a picture of a generic user account. When you turned on iCloud Desktop & Documents Folders, the Documents folder was moved to iCloud. But everything else in this picture stays local. You can add new folders to your home directory and they will also remain local.

1658179137675.png

Reactions: guido.coza and thv

guido.coza

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
South Africa
thanks Chabig for your reply.

"You desktop documents are still there, and any software will be able to find them if you point out the location. Navigate to iCloud > Desktop and there they are!"
LR did not allow me to select a "outside" location. Trust me I tried.

"Apple does not dictate. You specifically told Apple that you wanted your desktop documents stored on iCloud. It's your choice. You can still store documents locally on your machine by putting them in folders that only exist on your machine. Your user account folder is not on iCloud, so anything you put there is only on your machine."

Maybe you right, I understood it more as a back-up, and not being stored. Certain folders and docs I just want easy on my fingertips from the desktop. NOT always having network and internet coverage will make this setup useless for me. But I guess this is than a 3 world problem in general.

Hopefully I'll getting my 1TB ssd today or tomorrow and this nightmare is something of the past

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Certain folders and docs I just want easy on my fingertips from the desktop.
I understand. There are other ways to make files fingertip accessible. Consider adding locations to the Finder sidebar. Or add them to the dock.

guido.coza

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
South Africa
I understand. There are other ways to make files fingertip accessible. Consider adding locations to the Finder sidebar. Or add them to the dock.
I just got a message from my SIL that the new sandisk extreme pro 1TB arrived today. As soon as the ssd is installed I hopefully can make a "reinstall" from TM and everything should be as it was.
My dock is apparently already very full. I just need to learn to work with what I have and not what I would like ((-:
As said really appreciate all your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.