Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krye

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
USA
I have a 1st generation MacBook. All is well. Since I upgraded to Leopard I have noticed however, that it takes waaaay longer to boot up. Also, half the time (at least) it boots up fine, but I don't get a "dong" sound. I'm not too concerned since everything runs fine. But is this normal? I thought I was supposed to get the "dong" sound overtime I booted up.

rogair

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2007
Check your volume as everyone has suggested so far. Otherwise, reset your PRAM.

BerryJuice

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2007
It def is the volume as the same thing happens on my 1st gen macbook with tiger when the volume is down or muted.

krye

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
USA
It def is the volume as the same thing happens on my 1st gen macbook with tiger when the volume is down or muted.

That's weird because I always have the volume up. I'll reset the PRAM and see what happens.

myuserid08

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
When I restarted my macbook a few hours ago I didn't get the dong/chimes. Dont know if booting and rebooting makes a difference.

krye

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
USA
When I restarted my macbook a few hours ago I didn't get the dong/chimes. Dont know if booting and rebooting makes a difference.

This is a hard boot and not a reboot. Like last night. I got home from work and turned the machine on. It did its normal boot up sequence, but no "dong" sound.

krye

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
USA
I reset my PRAM when I got home. I get the dong sound again. I guess all is good.

Thanks

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
For future (non-phallic) reference, that sound is the report of a successful POST, or Power On Self Test. Assuming sound volume (or speaker defect) is not an issue, always be wary when there's no POST.

Kalafut

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2008
pocatello
i remember a couple of weeks ago a bunch of threads were posted, people were wondering if they could shut off the dong and i find it ironic that you don;t have the dong and you want it back, where as other people would love to get ride of there dong. wow that entire paragraph sounds bad, i just find this thread funny.

oh and how do you reset your PRAM?

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA
i remember a couple of weeks ago a bunch of threads were posted, people were wondering if they could shut off the dong and i find it ironic that you don;t have the dong and you want it back, where as other people would love to get ride of there dong. wow that entire paragraph sounds bad, i just find this thread funny.

Yes this is Dong gone Funny! :rolleyes:

krye

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
USA

On power up hold down OPTION, COMMAND, P and R all at the same time. You'll get the grey screen for a second or two and then it will reboot again. You'll get the dong sound and then you can let go.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238

Fuzzy14

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Renfrew, Scotland

That was me! Here's a linky

The app works a treat, it doesn't matter if I forget and leave the volume up my DONG (or POST if I have to be technically specific) is always at a low volume.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.