Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kier-XF

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2014
I am an Apple One Premier subscriber.

As part of my mobile contract renewal, I have been granted a 'smart benefit' of an Apple One Individual subscription.

I've been on to both my carrier (EE) and Apple today to enquire about taking the carrier-supplied subscription and paying either of them the difference between the costs of the Individual subscription (£14.95 here in UK) and the Premier subscription (£29.95) to upgrade the carrier-supplied plan.

Unfortunately, EE had no idea what I was talking about, and Apple said that I could take the carrier-supplied plan and choose to upgrade it via the usual process, at which point Apple would charge £29.95 per month.

In short, there is no way to use a carrier-supplied Apple One Individual plan as a credit towards a Family or Premium subscription. If you are offered Apple One Individual as a perk through a carrier, they can't upgrade it for you, and if you upgrade through Apple they will charge you the full cost of the higher-tier subscription to do so.

Seems a bit of a disconnected mess to me.

forzagaribaldi

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2008
London, UK
I was wondering about this as I was looking at potentially changing from my sim-only EE package to one with phone to upgrade to a 14 Pro. In the end I decided that with the phone price increases and the uselessness of an individual Apple One subscription for me due to needing the family plan I would hang on to my 11 for another year. Does feel like paying the difference to upgrade should be an option. I have no interest in any of the other add-ons that EE offers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.