Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rydawg96

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2018
So I just went from an iPhone 8 Plus to a 12 Pro Max. I remember on my iPhone 8 Plus, when I first got the phone I had to go into the settings to turn off auto-HDR in order to get the manual toggle in the camera app and to even get the auto-HDR indicator when it activates while I take a picture. Now on my iPhone 12, I notice that in the settings app the toggle for the auto-HDR has been replaced with a toggle for Smart HDR, and theres also no longer the option to save a duplicate in SDR. So when I open the camera app with smart HDR off, there is a toggle switch for HDR, but there is no auto setting, either its on or off, and it only says HDR and not smart HDR. Plus, when I turned on ProRaw, the toggle doesn't even appear in the camera app despite smart HDR off. So I tried using HDR with Smart HDR off in the settings and HDR toggled on in the camera app, and it seems that 1. there is no longer an HDR indicator for photos taken with HDR in the photos app, and 2. even with it manually turned on, it only took HDR shots some of the time, indicated by an increase in brightness when going from the thumbnails to fullscreen vs when opening non-HDR photos. So does this mean theres no longer any HDR indicators in the photos app nor is there any way to manually enable HDR in the camera app? Seems weird considering all my old iPhone 8 Plus pictures in my photo library still have HDR indicators on my 12 Pro Max as well as videos taken in Dolby Vision.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.