Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jewelzez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2018
I believe that my Macbook air had a virus, so I tried to restore it to it's original system. Now it only shows a black screen with a circle with a line through it. They apparently call it the Prohibitory symbol. Apple support told me to do the command-R and reinstall MacOS. After a few hours, it said that it was not successful.

Then, I did a bit of online research and tried a few different things. The first was doing the shift-option-command-R which also was not succesful and gave me the message macos a server with the specified host name could not be found.

Other attempts I tried the Option--command-R and received the following message: Could not create a preboot volume for APFS install.

I saw some recommendations to erase the ssd....drive, which I attempted, and thought it was successful, but after restarting the computer it is back.

Can anyone help? Or is a visit to the Apple store necessary?

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
If your MBA is older than 90 days and does not have valid AC or AC+ to extend for up to 3 years then telephone support technically ends and you have to go to the store, although they may help with little things

Reactions: Jewelzez

Jewelzez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2018
I just noticed when going to install macOS it tells me to select the disk, when I click on the (only disk shown, Macintosh HD) it shows 250.79 GB total 249.04 GB available. Could that have something to do with it not being able to successfully install? I have erased the volumn disk Macintosh HD.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Reactions: Jewelzez

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"No I didn't. Should I have? Could you tell me how to do that? I am very computer ignorant!"

Best suggestion:
Take it to the Apple Store.
They'll get it running again.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Hey
Can anyone help? Or is a visit to the Apple store necessary?

Next time please let us know the particulars like the year of the MacBook Air, and how the black screen appeared, where you visiting a website, then the trouble happened? Or where you trying to partition your hard drive, we need to know exactly what went wrong.

We are here to help and avoid unessassary Apple store visits and get your MBAir running again.
Since Apple stores are not convenient for everyone, we can fix these at home.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jewelzez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2018
Yes I must have erased the operating system. Not sure how. And the disk needed to be cleaned. I followed the following directions and it worked. Thank you all that took the time to help me!

https://discussions.apple.com/message/33578973#message33578973

Install El Capitan or Later from Scratch

If possible backup your files.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo appears. When the Utility Menu appears:
  2. Select Disk Utility from the Utility Menu and click on Continue button.
  3. When Disk Utility loads select the volume (indented entry, usually Macintosh HD) from the Device list.
  4. Click on the Erase icon in Disk Utility's main window. A panel will drop down.
  5. Set the Format type to APFS (SSDs only) or Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  6. Click on the Apply button, then wait for the Done button to activate and click on it.
  7. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  8. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

This will install the version of OS X you had installed. You must have a functioning Recovery HD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.