Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bromio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2014
Hi:

I switch off "Documents and data" in Settings > iCloud for a while, because I was not interested in syncing and I was using my cellular data.

Later I've wanted to turn that option on, to sync some Keynote presentations stored in iCloud... and the "Documents and data" option has simply disappeared!

I've been very careful to not upgrade to iCloud Drive, so I don't understand why I can't re-activate "Documents and data".

In my Mac, which runs Mavericks, I can see all my documents in the cloud.

Again: I have not upgraded to iCloud Drive.

Thanks.

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
Hi:

I switch off "Documents and data" in Settings > iCloud for a while, because I was not interested in syncing and I was using my cellular data.

Later I've wanted to turn that option on, to sync some Keynote presentations stored in iCloud... and the "Documents and data" option has simply disappeared!

I've been very careful to not upgrade to iCloud Drive, so I don't understand why I can't re-activate "Documents and data".

In my Mac, which runs Mavericks, I can see all my documents in the cloud.

Again: I have not upgraded to iCloud Drive.

Thanks.

I'd assume you need Yosemite with iCloud Drive to have Documents and Data return on your iPhone.

Bromio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2014
I'd assume you need Yosemite with iCloud Drive to have Documents and Data return on your iPhone.

But I'm not upgraded to iCloud Drive in my iPad. None of my devices is working with iCloud Drive. I just want to be able to see my Keynote presentations which are in Documents in the cloud (no iCloud Drive) in my iPad.

iOS 8 warned me that if I upgrade to iCloud Drive I will not be able to use iCloud as in previous versions, but it didn't advise me that toggling off "Documents and data" sync was irreversible.

Am I forced to upgrade to iCloud Drive all my devices now?

Thanks.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
You should be able to use. You will need to use iCloud.com to upload documents to Keynote, then use the iOS Keynote app to access from iCloud.

That's how it worked for me when I got iOS 8 and Yosemite was not yet released.

If you want iOS 8 iCloud Drive, activate on all iOS devices and then update Macs to Yosemite or use iCloud.com.

Last edited:

Bromio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2014
You should be able to use. You will need to use iCloud.com to upload documents to Keynote, then use the iOS Keynote app to access from iCloud.

That's how it worked for me when I got iOS 8 and Yosemite was not yet released.

If you want iOS 8 iCloud Drive, activate on all iOS devices and then update Macs to Yosemite or use iCloud.com.

But without upgrading to iCloud Drive can't I use iCloud as in Mavericks and iOS 7?

I have not clicked on the "Upgrade to iCloud Drive" button yet.

Bromio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2014
That would need to be a pretty old Mac. My 2008 machine runs Yosemite great.

An early 2008 iMac.

I think it is very strange that, without upgrading to iCloud Drive, I can't use iCloud as it used to work just because I've switched off temporarily the Documents and data option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.