Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GhettoMrBob

macrumors regular
May 21, 2014
It was MegaSync. On fresh installs i was installing software from new downloads. I never tested a fresh install for a long period of time but wouldnt that be the same experience as the Guest account as described previously? The Guest account never gave me any issues but then again as @casperes1996 said i probably wasnt using enough RAM to access the RAM stick in the 4th slot. Using enough RAM would be something i would be constantly doing in my primary account.

That's exactly correct. Like Fishrrman, I don't think the issue is RAM related but it could be if you have the issue even after swapping the RAM out of what you think is that bad slot.

What about using a ton of RAM with a native app before reinstalling all our your software? Something like an obscene number of Safari tabs.

I haven't seen MegaSync cause any problems to date but again I've only ever seen less than 10 people using it.

KingOfStuff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2013
That's exactly correct. Like Fishrrman, I don't think the issue is RAM related but it could be if you have the issue even after swapping the RAM out of what you think is that bad slot.

What about using a ton of RAM with a native app before reinstalling all our your software? Something like an obscene number of Safari tabs.

I haven't seen MegaSync cause any problems to date but again I've only ever seen less than 10 people using it.

I think one thing we can agree upon is that the one bank that returned errors is going to work for the better for me from now on no matter what. On a daily basis i probably have at least 30 tabs open in Safari and am usually using about 26GB of memory. Im sure 90% of the time the memory isnt all being actively used though.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"On a daily basis i probably have at least 30 tabs open in Safari and am usually using about 26GB of memory."

Cut that number down to 10 or even 15, and I'll bet a lot of your problems go away. Why does someone need 30 tabs open?

The "light bulb moment" in this thread was when you said that you created a new "barebones" account, and the test account (with no non-Apple software) ran fine.

It's software.
I'll bet that "MegaSync" figures in this, somewhere.

KingOfStuff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2013
OP wrote:
"On a daily basis i probably have at least 30 tabs open in Safari and am usually using about 26GB of memory."

Cut that number down to 10 or even 15, and I'll bet a lot of your problems go away. Why does someone need 30 tabs open?

The "light bulb moment" in this thread was when you said that you created a new "barebones" account, and the test account (with no non-Apple software) ran fine.

It's software.
I'll bet that "MegaSync" figures in this, somewhere.

The number of tabs has nothing to do with it. I had close to that many running in guest account. Also i usually have that many open because of work. I contract and sell bandwidth and DC space so i have many tabs open with company and user accounts with whom im talking to constantly. As i said before i have all software back on my iMac. The change now is that i dont have a RAM stick in that 4th slot and for the past 18 hours i have not had a single issue. Also as i have said before... MegaSync is on my MBP also and the MBP has never had any issues.

GhettoMrBob

macrumors regular
May 21, 2014
The number of tabs has nothing to do with it. I had close to that many running in guest account. Also i usually have that many open because of work. I contract and sell bandwidth and DC space so i have many tabs open with company and user accounts with whom im talking to constantly. As i said before i have all software back on my iMac. The change now is that i dont have a RAM stick in that 4th slot and for the past 18 hours i have not had a single issue. Also as i have said before... MegaSync is on my MBP also and the MBP has never had any issues.

To get that extra RAM back have to tried moving on sticks from a known-working slot into the 4th slot? Maybe it's not a bad slot but a bad stick even though it may test good.

KingOfStuff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2013
To get that extra RAM back have to tried moving on sticks from a known-working slot into the 4th slot? Maybe it's not a bad slot but a bad stick even though it may test good.

I did not tried taking RAM from slots 1, 2, or 3 and putting them into 4. Only 4 into another slot.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
It was MegaSync. On fresh installs i was installing software from new downloads. I never tested a fresh install for a long period of time but wouldnt that be the same experience as the Guest account as described previously? The Guest account never gave me any issues but then again as @casperes1996 said i probably wasnt using enough RAM to access the RAM stick in the 4th slot. Using enough RAM would be something i would be constantly doing in my primary account.

I'd just like to clarify that a clean install and using the guest account does not result in the same system, no. The guest account doesn't load anything that's specific to your account, but there are shared elements across all accounts that the guest account also shares.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.