Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
I recently purchased a 2009 Xserve off eBay. It is a single 2.26GHz CPU model with 24GB of RAM. It came with x1 500GB HDD, x2 250GB HDD's (I have no idea whats on these BTW) and an Ultra 320 PCIe card.

However I'm having trouble getting the machine to do anything, and so far all it's been is a noisy paperweight. I have tried everything from removing the PCIe card, reseating RAM, removing RAM altogether, using the logic board reset switches, removing the HDD's, using only one power supply, using both power supplies at the same time...

...but no matter what I do, as soon as I plug in at least one power supply, the unit roars into action with the power light going on automatically. I have seen others operating Xserves and it seem like that is not supposed to happen, with their units only lighting up that light upon actually pressing the power button. No matter what I do, it will remain in this state with the power button on. If I hold down the power button indefinitely, nothing happens. The other "warning light" either does nothing, or if I press it (same for the warning light at the back) it simply flashes blinking forever. In this state no image appears on the monitor, regardless of anything I do.

I am beginning to suspect a serious logic board problem as nothing I do seems to have any effect. The unit was tested as working by the seller, a company with a good reputation.

Am I missing something here, or is this thing beyond help?

Video of error light here:

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I am beginning to suspect a serious logic board problem as nothing I do seems to have any effect. The unit was tested as working by the seller, a company with a good reputation.
I'd search for an Xserve diagnostic/service manual which will tell you what all the diagnostic LEDs mean. I don't believe the forum rules permit linking to them but they're easily found and should help you determine what's going on with the Xserve.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
PM me and I'll give you the relevant pages of the technician's repair manual, it wasn't as easy to track down as you'd think

Is it the 30+ MB "Apple Technician Guide" for the Xserve (2009)?
http://tim.id.au/laptops/apple/xserve/xserve_early2009.pdf

I have managed to find that, and flicking through it I may have found something useful. Won't get my hands on the system to tinker with until the weekend but hopefully I'll make some progress then. Company says I have a month for returns so thats a good bit of time to figure out whats wrong.

Thanks anyway!

Last edited:
Reactions: LightBulbFun
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.