Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Monkeyat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2009
Hi,
I’m using a 2018 iPad Pro with iPadOS 15.3.1 and an USB-C connector from HYPERDRIVE connected to a HDMI display. With this setup it’s impossible to have the audio through the iPad internal speakers. There is no option to select that on the AirPlay icon (see picture).

Is there any workaround this?

TIA,

M.

Attachments

• 391C728C-D8D8-448A-8277-B5DD1E0603D2.png
    391C728C-D8D8-448A-8277-B5DD1E0603D2.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 599

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
probably not. HDMI has the advantage of transferring sound too. A problem arises if the target device doesn’t have speakers ?

I have to check, but you might be able to use a bluetooth speaker system for sound while sending video via HDMI (?)

Monkeyat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2009
probably not. HDMI has the advantage of transferring sound too. A problem arises if the target device doesn’t have speakers ?

I have to check, but you might be able to use a bluetooth speaker system for sound while sending video via HDMI (?)
In fact, no speakers in my 4k display, so no sound either.

But I confirm that I can still use my AirPods Pro even with the USB-C connector and HDMI output.

ommachi

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2018
India
One workaround is to have a USB-DAC connected separately to the iPP (using a usb-C dongle with HDMI and usb-A outlet ports) and taking the audio out of the DAC via wired headphones or external speakers. This set-up would allow you to ’select’ your audio out as DAC in the menu -- referencing your image.

(Yes, as you found out, AirPods would work via BT but not all other non-Apple BT headphones or speakers though)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.