Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
Apple lists iOS 8 Support for iPad 2 and the iPad with Retina display. Those are the 2nd and 4th generations respectively.

However, they are skipping iPad 3rd Generation as pages such as their covers describe that brief generation.

Is anyone else disappointed? the iPad 3rd generation was sold as late as October 2012, and now it won't be supported come Fall 2014, just a bit disappointing.

Manatlt

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2013
London, UK
The iPad 3rd Generation shares the name for iPad with Retina Display with iPad 4. So don't worry iPad 3 is getting it. It has been confirmed anyway through the betas. :)

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
The iPad 3rd Generation shares the name for iPad with Retina Display with iPad 4. So don't worry iPad 3 is getting it. It has been confirmed anyway through the betas. :)

That would be great news.

However, if you lookup some accessories on Apple.com store they clearly listed them as different generations. I guess that could be down to the charging ports being different though. It's just they clearly describe that generation as something other than "iPad with Retina Display." That was only the name when they put the thunderbolt and speed bumped it. The 3rd generation was "the new iPad," when released but Apple.com accessories refer to it as iPad 3rd Generation now.

Manatlt

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2013
London, UK
That would be great news.

However, if you lookup some accessories on Apple.com store they clearly listed them as different generations. I guess that could be down to the charging ports being different though. It's just they clearly describe that generation as something other than "iPad with Retina Display." That was only the name when they put the thunderbolt and speed bumped it. The 3rd generation was "the new iPad."

Well "the new iPad" IS an iPad with Retina Display isn't it? :)

Same can be said for the iPad Air but obviously they gave that model a real exclusive name. I wouldn't call "the new iPad" an exclusive name because---iPad Air is currently "the new iPad" lol

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
I did also worry as Apple.com calls the 3rd generation "iPad 3rd Generation," clearly different than iPad with Retina Display listed right next to it on accessories.

I apologize for the thread, you guys have actually made me feel MUCH better.

Plus, I just thought of something. If 3rd generation wasn't supported, surely developers would have noticed it by now and shared it with the public since they have access to iOS 8.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.