Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arielle

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2003
Columbia University
Apple announced in 2002 that there will be no iPhoto for versions previous to X. I use iPhoto fine on my G4 titan. laptop w/ digital camera, but my (not-so-computer-literate) dad is stuck with my old (perfectly GOOD) G3, which runs 9.1.

The USB downloadable imaging software that came with his Nikon Coolpix SUX SH*T, and I find it incredibly badly designed. "If only they had iPhoto for 9, all would be solved (and dad's "DAMN COMPUTERS!" acid reflux would relent).

Any comparable program that works reasonably well on OS 9 for multiple image import from digital camera, from which you can easily organize and manage images?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Calliander

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2004
Re: No iPhoto for 9; any SIMILAR??

Originally posted by Arielle
Apple announced in 2002 that there will be no iPhoto for versions previous to X. I use iPhoto fine on my G4 titan. laptop w/ digital camera, but my (not-so-computer-literate) dad is stuck with my old (perfectly GOOD) G3, which runs 9.1.

The USB downloadable imaging software that came with his Nikon Coolpix SUX SH*T, and I find it incredibly badly designed. "If only they had iPhoto for 9, all would be solved (and dad's "DAMN COMPUTERS!" acid reflux would relent).

Any comparable program that works reasonably well on OS 9 for multiple image import from digital camera, from which you can easily organize and manage images?

In 9, as far as I know, you are unfortunately at the mercy of your camera's manufacturer. You could check VersionTracker, though.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Re: No iPhoto for 9; any SIMILAR??

GraphicConverter

crap freakboy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
nar in Gainsborough, me duck
personally I prefer iView Media apps for dealing with my digital photos, its very fast in both browsing/importing and supports over 70 media types including the following-

Still Images
JPEG, JPEG-2000, TIFF, TIFF-FAX, PNG, Adobe Photoshop (3.x and higher), BMP, Targa, SGI, FlashPix, PICT, GIF, QuickTime Image, GE Medical CRI.

Audio
MP3, AIFF, Windows Wave, Standard MIDI, Compact Disc Audio, Sound Designer II, System Sounds, GSM Audio, AIFC

Animation/Video
QuickTime Movies, Windows AVI, DV (Digital Video), FLC, MPEG, MPEG-4, QTVR Movies, Flash, Animated GIF

try the fully working demo from here-

http://www.iview-multimedia.com/products/index.html

the pro version is more expensive than the $30 lite version, but hey depends upon what you need...the lite version blows iPhoto away imho.

crap freakboy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
nar in Gainsborough, me duck
Re: but iView is for OS X only?

I need something for the G3 running on 9.1, yah?

both iView Media pro 2 and iView Media run under 9.1, a G3 is way fast enough for either. Just download them and try them out, I promise they are what you are looking for.

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2002
UK
Ulead

I was involved in beta testing an image management app a bit like iPhoto for Ulead a couple of years ago. I can't remember for the life of me what it was called, but a Google search should yield some results - hang on - 'Ulead Photo Explorer for Mac'

http://www.ulead.com/pex_mac/runme.htm

You can get a free trial at the above link

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
I used ACDSee when I was using OS 9. Here's their website. They haven't updated the Mac version for a loooong time, and frankly I don't think they ever will -but it suited me fine.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Originally posted by 5300cs
I used ACDSee when I was using OS 9. Here's their website. They haven't updated the Mac version for a loooong time, and frankly I don't think they ever will -but it suited me fine.
ACDSee is bundled with Canvas 9.0.x. It has been ported to MacOS X 10.x.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
How old is the G3? My first generation iBook at 233 MHz runs Panther just fine. That might be your best bet. Panther runs faster than any previous version of X, so it may be fine for your dad's purposes.

Otherwise, I've used Canto Cumulus and the photo browser that comes with the Olympus cameras (I think it's called Camedia Master). Neither of these is as intuitive as iPhoto, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.