Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greenLynx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2024
Hi everybody,
I used OpenCoreLegacy Patcher to install Monterey on my Mac Pro. Il was difficult because the installation kept crashing but I finally succeeded after having read dozens of pages of forums.
The graphic card was ATI Radeon HD 5770. I changed the card after the installation and put a Sapphire Radeon RX580 in place of the other one. The card is recognized by its name but VRAM=8Mo in the system report, no kext has been charged and it is almost impossible to use the applications because of that.
I suppose it is necessary to add drivers or something like that but I couldn't find the solution on the web. Nobody answered me on discord OCLP. I put the former card inside which is not suitable either not knowing what to do now waiting to resolve this issue.
I heard about WhateverGreen and downloaded it but I could not understand how I can install it and if it would solve my problem without installing again eveything from the beginning.
Sorry for my English, it's not my mother tongue

OpenCoreLegacy Patcher 1.3.0
MacPro 5,1 "Quad Core" 2.66 intel Xeon

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
You are doing it wrong.

OCLP requires that the GPU that you gonna apply the root-patches is the GPU that you will use "forever".

The moment that OCLP install the root patches, all other GPU drivers are removed except for the GPU you did the root patches.

greenLynx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2024
Oooooh 😵‍💫! So I have to let the RX580 plugged and do it again from the beginning 😢
I wish I had read that before all this mess 😖 I have spent sooooo many hours on this issue.
Thank you very much @tsialex for your information. I do not know why it is not clearly mentioned in the OCLP instructions. So this thread will be closed much quicker than I would have thought.

MacRumors3590

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2021
You are doing it wrong.

OCLP requires that the GPU that you gonna apply the root-patches is the GPU that you will use "forever".

The moment that OCLP install the root patches, all other GPU drivers are removed except for the GPU you did the root patches.
hi Alex, I have 4 Saphire RX580's (the ones with DVI, 2 hdmi, 2 Display Port), 2 are Flashed for mac.. I cant get any of them to boot to a besktop. I have a amd R9 and a GTX 680 and they boot fine to a desktop.. I'm using oclp nightly and 14.4 beta 3. I even did a clean install and no luck.
Thanks in advance.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
hi Alex, I have 4 Saphire RX580's (the ones with DVI, 2 hdmi, 2 Display Port), 2 are Flashed for mac.. I cant get any of them to boot to a besktop. I have a amd R9 and a GTX 680 and they boot fine to a desktop.. I'm using oclp nightly and 14.4 beta 3.
Thanks in advance.

If is not related to the root patches issue that I've explained above, you should report it on the OCLP discord.

Reactions: MacRumors3590

MacRumors3590

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2021
If is not related to the root patches issue that I've explained above, you should report it on the OCLP discord.
Thanks, I got the answer from your post, your right, the drivers were removed so when I did a complete fresh install and wiped the drive the 580 works.

greenLynx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2024
Well, finally I come back to explain the easy solution that so few people seem to know. I was about to reinstall my whole system as I had no graphic recognition as explained in the first post. I was watching a youtube video to remind myself of the steps involved. Precisely this video:
from Jessie's Flying channel which I had not previously seen. And in the Question and Answers part he speaks about my problem. And it is sooo easy to fix (video at 15:20). You have to go to the post install Root Patch in the Open Core Legacy Patcher and click on "Revert Root Patches" and then Reboot.
It worked for me :cool: 🥳🥳🥳🥳
I hope it will for you as well!

greenLynx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2024
He made this other video too concerning PC Graphic Cards and how to get a boot selector
In the case you don't have an old mac graphics card for the installation

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.