Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kkinto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 29, 2011
Hi.

Not sure if this is OpenCore related so I don't want to go off topic there.

I am having a problem with my usual/normal keyboard not being recognised anymore on boot. It (old apple extended - white/clear plastic) is attached via a usb extender to a rear port. In the keyboard hub I have the usb dongle for a logitech mouse so obviously that doesn't work either. Pretty much every boot like this I will not have keyboard/mouse working working.

If I boot with a wired mouse (apple, the white one with small trackball) then the regular keyboard and logitech mouse will work after bootup every time (so far)!

The 'normal' wired keyboad/logitech mouse work perfectly up to and including the OC bootpicker but once the Finder loads they no longer work. I have to login with screen sharing if necessary and shutdown via that since I hate a hard power down.

If I boot with another keyboard (I have 3) plugged into front port both it and the 'normal' keyboard don't work. If I plug it in later it doesnt work as well.

I have reinstalled OS via Recovery. Same problem. Was a bit scary because apple took that opportunity to upgrade me from 11.5.2 to 11.6

I have deleted the prefs com.apple.keyboardservicesd.plist. No change. Did an SMC reset with power cord. No change. Used all three keyboards in turn. No change.

Only 'usual' thing I have not done is zapped the NVRAM - not sure if it stores anything keyboard in there? Haven't done mainly cos of the PITA operating from mac mini home theater via screen sharing.

All rear/front 2.0 USB ports all work for hard drives and that old apple mouse. With my normal keyboard attached (and not working) the system info simply lists the USB port, no keyboard or hub.

Any ideas for solving anyone? TIA

Last edited:

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
try to run it thru a USB hub.

2nd thing you could try is: When OpenCore boot picker appears press some keys.

My wired Apple Trackpad behaves about same: I need to use it in OpenCore to get recognized by the OS.

kkinto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 29, 2011
Thanks. I will try the 2nd thing :) I don't have a USB hub at the moment so I will need to get one to try that. Also leaving the old mighty mouse plugged in at startup is the antidote to this strangeness.

Its really weird because this has only begun happening recently (as in last week). All was fine before.

And even more weird, I was NEVER able to use this keyboard/mouse for the boot picker before this - I always had to plug a second keyboard in to use it.

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
Seems that USB 1.x Hardware is not recognised no more.

Workaround is to let it thru a USB 2 Hub so the System "thinks" it is USB 2.

kkinto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 29, 2011
Seems that USB 1.x Hardware is not recognised no more.

Workaround is to let it thru a USB 2 Hub so the System "thinks" it is USB 2.
OK I didn't realise these keyboards were USB 1.1 but I see in system info its listed as "up to 12MB/s"

kkinto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 29, 2011
Does your monitor have a USB port? That would be a "hub"
Thanks. Yes it does, but I connected it to my USB3 card (its also USB 3) and use it for a hard drive since I figured that was a waste for a keyboard :) I did try that but the keyboard doesnt work on startup/boot picker because the USB 3 card isn't activated yet

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
no no, it's not my idea alone, it's the community what found out the workaround. I was just carrying the information.

Petri Krohn

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
I sometimes have a similar problem on my Mac Pro 3,1. If I make a warm reboot and try to go to the EFI boot picker (Apple boot screen) the keyboard does not work. Detaching the keyboard and reconnecting it to an other port solves the issue. As does a cold reboot.

(I have had my keyboard connected to the front ports. I think the problem persists after the OS starts, but I am not sure.)

MacNB2

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2021
I also have issues with USB hotplugging with OpenCore even with native USB ports. Most times I have to reboot.
Yes same here.
Apple removed USB 1 port support from Big Sur. they only really work if plugged into an external USB 2/3.0 Hub.
Hot plugging directly into the Mac crashes the Mac silently. Only option is hard reboot.

I guess there's no reason for them to support USB 1 as their M1-based systems have no USB 1 or 2 ports.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.