Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ian.C

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
Lancashire, UK
Hi,

My iPhone XS Max was on 13.5 and jail broken, i also had not to allow ota updates to be blocked as well... Not sure how ive ended up here as it must have been when i had it plugged into my computer.

My iPhone has now updated to 13.5.1 and my ota update is broken, i have now come to terms with losing the jailbreak but its no longer updating to new ios firmware.

How can i fix this?

Thanks in advance

Reactions: Wesmosis

shady16

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2019
13.5.1 is the latest version unless you have a beta profile for either 13.6 or 14

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Let me hitch a ride on this thread...

Same thing with me. I was jailbroken under 13.5 and I had OTA turned off. I also probably had a setting in Cleaner Pro that disabled updates.

I wanted to upgrade to iOS 14. So, I reset my iPhone and restored back to original 13.5

The software updates are broken. It will not find an update.

I used iTunes to update to 13.5.1

However, the problem still persists and I know it's from the iCloud backup I ported over that has broken elements from the jailbreak.

So my question...

I want to start out with a fresh install of my iPhone with no iCloud backup ported over. I will lose my contacts and photos and all the apps I had installed. I will be starting from scratch.

However, the problem will be fixed.

I have all my photos and contacts on my Mac. They will automatically sync over, correct? So in essence, I will not have lost any of those without importing over a backup. Correct?

shady16

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2019
Let me hitch a ride on this thread...

Same thing with me. I was jailbroken under 13.5 and I had OTA turned off. I also probably had a setting in Cleaner Pro that disabled updates.

I wanted to upgrade to iOS 14. So, I reset my iPhone and restored back to original 13.5

The software updates are broken. It will not find an update.

I used iTunes to update to 13.5.1

However, the problem still persists and I know it's from the iCloud backup I ported over that has broken elements from the jailbreak.

So my question...

I want to start out with a fresh install of my iPhone with no iCloud backup ported over. I will lose my contacts and photos and all the apps I had installed. I will be starting from scratch.

However, the problem will be fixed.

I have all my photos and contacts on my Mac. They will automatically sync over, correct? So in essence, I will not have lost any of those without importing over a backup. Correct?
btw you should have turned off the disable auto updates in the uncover app first as that is what broke it

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Restore rootfs in unc0ver does nothing on my phone. Just hangs at 2/31 exploiting kernel.

Whats more crazy is that I set iPhone up as new, and still get the unable to check for update. Even with genuine iOS 14 profile.

I am at a lost

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
btw you should have turned off the disable auto updates in the uncover app first as that is what broke it

That is what I am finding out late in the game

Restore rootfs in unc0ver does nothing on my phone. Just hangs at 2/31 exploiting kernel.

Whats more crazy is that I set iPhone up as new, and still get the unable to check for update. Even with genuine iOS 14 profile.

I am at a lost

So, technically, if I set this up as a new phone it still is not going to update OTA?

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Alright...

So to confirm, I just set my iPhone up as a new device with no backup installed and it still does not do software updates.

So, unless I am wrong, I am guessing I have to wait for a jailbreak and then get back into Underc0ver and restore OTA settings.

The other thing to consider is that I will just be buying a new phone in October, selling this one back to Apple so it won't be an issue for me anymore in a few months.

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Alright...

So to confirm, I just set my iPhone up as a new device with no backup installed and it still does not do software updates.

So, unless I am wrong, I am guessing I have to wait for a jailbreak and then get back into Underc0ver and restore OTA settings.

The other thing to consider is that I will just be buying a new phone in October, selling this one back to Apple so it won't be an issue for me anymore in a few months.

I tried a few things and nothing. Surprised setting up as new doesn’t fix the issue. Assumed setting up as new would unroot the device and file system.

Might have to wait for a 13.5.1 JB like you said to jailbreak, and then unjailbreak. Did not realize unc0ver disables OTA by default.

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Ok I got it sorted.

Plugged phone into Mac, opened iTunes, powered off phone, put phone in DFU mode, and restored phone in DFU mode. Took about 20 mins for my restore to complete. Afterwards I was able to install the iOS 14 profile and proceed with my OTA working again.

Attachments

• 17FCBF72-4B58-4E29-B05C-828CB19302A8.jpeg
    17FCBF72-4B58-4E29-B05C-828CB19302A8.jpeg
    136.6 KB · Views: 729
Reactions: motulist

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
How do you restore the phone in DFU mode?

And once you do that, can you restore from an iCloud backup or does it have to be a fresh install?

Thanks

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Okay...

I figured out how to DFU restore my iPhone. I did that. Worked successfully.

It did not erase any of my content. I wonder if that's a problem because I still can't do an OTA update.

Should I completely erase my iPhone and then do another DFU? I am wondering if the backup is causing the issue.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
UPDATE

After two separate DFU restorations, I finally was able to fix the OTA update issue.

The first restoration didn't do anything

The second one had the magic touch

On top of that, the good news is that I was able to restore a recent iCloud backup of my iPhone without affecting the DFU fix. So, I did not have to start from scratch.

I downloaded the developer beta of iOS 14 and it is installing

So..

If anyone is in a situation where they jailbroke their phone and turned off OTA updates with unc0ver and forgot to turn them back on when restoring your phone...

All you need to do is a DFU restore. You may need to do it more than once. However, it will eventually fix the issue.

Thank you @map1978 for the guidance and answer I needed to make this work.

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
UPDATE

After two separate DFU restorations, I finally was able to fix the OTA update issue.

On top of that, the good news is that I was able to restore a recent iCloud backup of my iPhone without affecting the DFU fix. So, I did not have to start from scratch.

So..

If anyone is in a situation where they jailbroke their phone and turned off OTA updates with unc0ver and forgot to turn them back on when restoring your phone...

All you need to do is a DFU restore. You may need to do it more than once. However, it will eventually fix the issue.

Glad you got it sorted out bro. I had a backup from 2 weeks prior so I was good with that.

rioap

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2020
UPDATE

So..

hi there,

I also experiencing this kind of thing, and FYI I followed all your mentioned steps carefully and I still couldn't check the OTA update from my setting pane, it was the 3rd times, do you have any idea, bro?

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Hey rioap, how 'ya doin'?

This was a tough one. I think I just got lucky with this one.

If you have tried three separate DFU restorations already and still can't update, I don't know where to direct you next.

Maybe do another DFU attempt. And, after that fourth DFU attempt, maybe powering your phone down and turning it back on again?

Let us know if you get this working.

rioap

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2020
Hey rioap, how 'ya doin'?

This was a tough one. I think I just got lucky with this one.

If you have tried three separate DFU restorations already and still can't update, I don't know where to direct you next.

Maybe do another DFU attempt. And, after that fourth DFU attempt, maybe powering your phone down and turning it back on again?

Let us know if you get this working.

I am superb now but not with my phone, lol

yeah, failed 3 times and this is 12mins more to the 4rd, hope it will fixed or I must wait for the 5th times..
it is frustrating that I read this post a week ago, then today I had the time to fix this issue, but it didnt went anywhere..

clean restore nor restored from backup also didnt do anything with the OTA checking,
I'll be standby in this page until I got this issue fixed, lol

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
I am superb now but not with my phone, lol

yeah, failed 3 times and this is 12mins more to the 4rd, hope it will fixed or I must wait for the 5th times..
it is frustrating that I read this post a week ago, then today I had the time to fix this issue, but it didnt went anywhere..

clean restore nor restored from backup also didnt do anything with the OTA checking,
I'll be standby in this page until I got this issue fixed, lol

Keep us updated!

I tell yuh, moving forward, with my next Jailbreak I am going to make certain to turn on OTA updates before doing any upgrades.

rioap

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2020
Keep us updated!

I tell yuh, moving forward, with my next Jailbreak I am going to make certain to turn on OTA updates before doing any upgrades.

it keeps failing on my 5th trial, bro.. I think I just unlucky with those above steps :(
Will stick with itunes updates from now on, lol

Luciano De Dominicis

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2020
Thanks for this post, it solved the OTA update for me (iPhone XS Max - unc0ver 5.3.1 - iOS 13.5).
Decided to remove Jailbreak and after Restore RootFS, forgot to re-Jailbreak switching off (OTA)... so restore and upgrade to 13.7 (using iTunes) (to after be ready for final 14)... but as all know here, it broke my OTA update, but after many try using only iPhone, did am DFU restore and it worked like a charm.... and was also using e-SIM and I DID NOT lose carrier infos...

Kiran Joshy

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2020
it keeps failing on my 5th trial, bro.. I think I just unlucky with those above steps :(
Will stick with itunes updates from now on, lol

Hey, I had the same problem. My iPhone was jailbroken using Unc0ver running 5.3.2 and iOS 13.5. I used the disable OTA update but it still broke my OTA update. I restored using Recovery mode 2 times but then I used DFU mode and it is ok now. Make sure you use DFU mode and not recovery mode. Hope it helps

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2006
I want to update my phone, but i don’t want to restore it. I’m thinking.. if I restore from an icloud backup when I get my iPhone 12, should i expect this issue to occur?

rioap

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2020
Hey, I had the same problem. My iPhone was jailbroken using Unc0ver running 5.3.2 and iOS 13.5. I used the disable OTA update but it still broke my OTA update. I restored using Recovery mode 2 times but then I used DFU mode and it is ok now. Make sure you use DFU mode and not recovery mode. Hope it helps
Hi there, sadly, I did a DFU restore too to fixed this, but still I got my software update panel stuck, and yeah, I still updating via iTunes until now :(

are you restoring via DFU as a new iphone or from a backed up one?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.