Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Thread discussion No Man's Sky for PC ONLY!

Please, no negativity/rants here - there's already plenty of that.

Post mods and PC related stuff for the game here.

It's looking like the PC Community is coming to the rescue for this game! YAY!

This is a cool mod - Deep Space:

There are also "Mod Packs" that do many things such as "Custom Edition"

http://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/113/?

Which also looks awesome:

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
It would be nice if the devs saved their game, not the modding community. But whatever.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Some mods are broken with the latest "Foundation" patch. Modders are quickly fixing them.

Here's another cool one:

Stonehenge Monoliths! 'Tis a Magic Place! ;)

https://nomansskymods.com/mods/stonehenges-for-nms-glossy-version/

1480591451_828178ce6917d6129509d54da125a3ba-1600x900.jpg

Reactions: Garrod

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Bit the bullet and bought the PC version $36 - after seeing this:

Hope to one day have triple monitors, as well as want to start implementing all the cool mods.

Will update on what the PC version is like compared to the PS4...

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Bit the bullet and bought the PC version $36 - after seeing this:

Hope to one day have triple monitors, as well as want to start implementing all the cool mods.

Will update on what the PC version is like compared to the PS4...
All the backgrounds seem very purplish-pinkish-greenih. I'm not sure if I care for that.

At Steam, reviews run Mixed, to Mostly Negative. Any ideas why? Not challenging your like of this game, just curious. I'm following this game.

3106458-nomanssky_lushplanet_1470673214.png

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
All the backgrounds seem very purplish-pinkish-greenih. I'm not sure if I care for that.

At Steam, reviews run Mixed, to Mostly Negative. Any ideas why? Not challenging your like of this game, just curious. I'm following this game.

3106458-nomanssky_lushplanet_1470673214.png

The colors were originally for the "retro-space" look. Mods are available to make the skies and space dark or black.

People bought the game at launch without any prior playing (no public alpha or beta) plus the developer's interviews/Sony keynotes lead the public that the game contained a lot more than what was released, at the AAA Title price of $60.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
The next major update, 1.3 is out now on Steam... downloading.

Adds Stargates and more ships and other stuff (will find out), will have to test mods to see what works and what doesn't...

ss_b92bb4b3fb12d76e88744394559f4cbbee44fc0e.1920x1080.jpg

ss_02323a8bbddf26c3395edf0e1dfb81a08e7d9f1c.1920x1080.jpg

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
NMS Experimental version is available on Steam.

It switches from OpenGL to Vulkan - what a HUGE difference!

Very smooth like the console versions and higher framerates.

They're getting it ready for VR... ;)

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
This game was recently on sale on Steam so I picked it up. Is anyone still playing? What do you think? Any mods that you suggest? Thanks.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Is anyone still playing?
I bought this game when it first came out, and stuck with it for a period of time, progressing my character to a point where it was probably decently configured, i.e., was able to buy a new ship or two, etc.

I stopped playing because to be honest the game was incredibly repetitive, all I kept doing was mining for elements to sell or what not. I then tried picking it back up last year or in 2019 (I forget) and the game changed sooo much that I was completely lost. I basically had to start over go from ground zero re-learning and at that point I just gave up.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I bought this game when it first came out, and stuck with it for a period of time, progressing my character to a point where it was probably decently configured, i.e., was able to buy a new ship or two, etc.

I stopped playing because to be honest the game was incredibly repetitive, all I kept doing was mining for elements to sell or what not. I then tried picking it back up last year or in 2019 (I forget) and the game changed sooo much that I was completely lost. I basically had to start over go from ground zero re-learning and at that point I just gave up.
The game has been praised for the progress they have made. What I’m seeing is that maybe until you get used to the organization of the HUD/interface it seems to be interface intensive for crafting, fortunately the game is constantly providing the player with instructions, how to accomplish the current task or I would I would be frustrated.

That said, there is a lot of gathering, that fortunately, it does not seem too intense, as in having to chop down a forest to make an item, at least not yet. ;) However, I worked though the starter planet, which was toxic and got a bit aggravated I died while trying to figure out the interface, then got beyond that and am on my second planet gathering more stuff.

I see this as a developing routine, and am hoping there is more to the game, because if the routine is gather, gather, gather, build, into perpetuity, I can see it getting old. Hoping there is more.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The game has been praised for the progress they have made
Oh, I've seen the praises, and No Man's Sky is now the excuse every publishing company uses when a failed/buggy game is released - they (And their fans say, they'll just do a No Man's sky sort of turn around) - So far only No Man's sky as really achieved a No Man's Sky type turn around

That said, there is a lot of gathering
That's what more or less drive me away, All I was doing is collecting minerals and what not, and even then I'd have to grind to get a better laser to mine for more higher end ores. I know (especially now) there's so much more to the game, but I think early on you're stuck grinding a lot, and when I returned to the game as I mentioned - i just didn't have the intestonal fortitude to do that

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I played it for a while last year, but got bored knowing it was more of the same on every planet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.