Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scrumper

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2010
Great Britain
I have just purchased a Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 (firewire audio interface) and after setting up with the correct software, the audio works fine but there is no midi signal to or from the unit. Midi worked fine before with my little USB Midisport 2x2. Just wondering if anyone is successfully using midi with a Focusrite audio interface on OS X 10.11, how you got it to work or if there is some extra setup step I need to make which is not mentioned. The user manual doesn't mention midi setup at all. Cheers

Scrumper

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2010
Great Britain
I've got it working now. If anyone else has a similar problem, this is what worked for me. I think there was some kind of conflict occurring with previous midi setups so I deleted the audio and midi plists and also other setup profiles I had previously been using in the Audio MIDI Setup utility. The "default" profile is now the only one there and it recognised the Saffire Pro. Interestingly it still won't allow me to test the MIDI setup - that part of the utility still doesn't seem to work but the interface is functioning as I can now play my piano into Logic Pro X.

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Hi,

I'm going somewhat mental here trying to get Cubase to produce ANY sound in El Capitan. Bought the upgrade to v8, which was supposed to be 10.11 compatible, won't work. I have a Focusrite Scarlett card. Could you tell me which audio and midi plists did you delete?

Thanks in advance!

Scrumper

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2010
Great Britain
Hi Navaira, I followed the suggestions on this page: http://us.focusrite.com/answerbase/my-interface-isnt-showing-up-when-connected-to-my-mac and after rebooting, all was fine.

The first set of files to be deleted can be found by navigating to Mac HD > Library > Preferences > Audio. There should be two preference files in this folder:

com.apple.audio.DeviceSettings.plist

com.apple.audio.SystemSettings.plist

Any additional files in the Audio folder will likely be duplicates (which can often be the cause of the problem), you should delete these files as well.

The other preference file that can cause a similar problem is found in a different Library folder.

On OSX 10.7 and later, open Finder > click 'Go' at the top of the screen > Hold down the "Alt/Option" key and click on the Library folder > Preferences > delete 'com.apple.audioMIDIsetup.plist'

On OSX 10.6 and earlier, the User Library folder is not hidden and so can be accessed by navigating to Mac HD > [your username] > Library > Preferences > delete 'com.apple.audioMIDIsetup.plist'

Note: This filename is lengthened to 'com.apple.audio.audioMIDIsetup.plist' on systems running OSX 10.10 Yosemite.

There are 3 Library folders on a Mac so if you cannot see one of these files it’s worth double-checking that you are navigating to the correct one. After trashing these files restart your computer.

Hope you get it sorted. If not, I do find that Focusrite are very helpful and a quick email to them gets a prompt and earnest response. Cheers.

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Nope, no dice :( I'll fire emails at both Steinberg and Focusrite. Thanks for your help though!
[doublepost=1453121021][/doublepost]OK... I am a bit dumb. :$ I downloaded Cubase Elements 8, and clicked on the icon in my dock, thinking CE8 just updated CE7. It didn't. I had two programs, CE7 and CE8 at once. Needless to say, Elements 8 makes sound as it should.

Arf. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.