Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superspiffy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
I've been noticing that my MBP doesn't make the chime sound anymore at startup. Nothing seems to be wrong with anything, but without the chime how can you know? I think it all started after the EFI firmware update, or it might be after I installed VMWare fushion... Anybody else?

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah
Is the volume on your MBP turned on at all? If you turn the volume down or mute it, the chime will not sound.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
i dont agree.

the chime does not mute on intel macs when you mute the sound. the EFI firmware update must have caused it as teh startup chime is in the firmware. nothing to worry about. i suggest installing "Psst" and muting the startup sound and then restart. then unmute the startup sound using psst again and restart.

DaLurker

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
i dont agree.

the chime does not mute on intel macs when you mute the sound. the EFI firmware update must have caused it as teh startup chime is in the firmware. nothing to worry about. i suggest installing "Psst" and muting the startup sound and then restart. then unmute the startup sound using psst again and restart.

I disagree as well. When my sound is muted, the chime does not occur. When the sound is unmuted, the chime occurs :)

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah
i dont agree.

I was pretty sure I wasn't going crazy when I muted my Intel MBP before shutting it down so that when I started it up in class everyday during the summer it didn't chime. ;)

I was just suggesting that he take a look at the volume on his MBP. You could be right about the firmware though.

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
i dont agree.

the chime does not mute on intel macs when you mute the sound.

There you are wrong my friend, like the others, the chime DOES mute on start up with the volume muted. Has always been the case with my MBP for 14 months now.

superspiffy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
Ok guys either way, I do not have my volume set on mute and I don't get a chime at startup.

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
Ok guys either way, I do not have my volume set on mute and I don't get a chime at startup.

Zap your pram and set it back to default.

The Mac OS provides a procedure to do this at boot time. Reboot, then as soon as you hear the startup 'bong', hold down these four keys: Command-Option-P-R. It will bong again. And again. Continue to hold down these four keys until it has 'bonged' a total of three times (the initial startup bong and two more after you hold down those four keys).

Now your PRAM is cleaned out and uncorrupted, and the PRAM values are restored to their factory defaults.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
i dont agree.

Disagree as well, when sound is muted in OS X, the next startup has no "bong"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.