Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blueflame

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2003
Studio City
on a slightly different topic

dont the ipods have the new headphones? on teh shuffle ipod store page, it has a picture of them wiuth the old ones?
hmm

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
apple is discounting for students. they are a leader in this segment and to be honest, students represent a important market for apple.

students will be users for years. so they are a great target audience

monke

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2005
blueflame said:
dont the ipods have the new headphones? on teh shuffle ipod store page, it has a picture of them wiuth the old ones?
hmm

That is strange,
gallery-big-02.jpg

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
monke said:

I watched the Keynote right through today and I did wonder why Steve didn't specifically mention the new headphones when he described the new Shuffle. I thought it was an oversight, but given the information that has arisen since I'm starting to think they come with the old headphones...

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
wmmk said:
what are the new headphones anyway?
iLounge's enhanced 5th gen review has agood comparison shot: left is old, right is new. Basically its a better fit, blocks some outside sound, and has improved quality.

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 142

jlewis2k1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2005
in your closet
personally i think it has to do with people abusing the education discount priviledge. So, apple could simply be fading it out from online. Where they could just keep them in the store which would require you to have a valid student ID or valid verification that you are a faculty of the school.

iflipper

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2006
Leeds, UK
Planner Dude said:
When you stop to think about, is an ipod really educational anyway?

You don't use them in classes for school work. They are really only entertainment devices. I don't know of many entertainemnt devices that have student discounts (besides over-priced movies at thetres).

Could you imagine using a student discount for an X-Box or Playstation3?

You can record lectures on them with the recorder attachment, not to mention using the photo screens for lecture slides, videos of lectures or just putting text lecture notes on them. They can be tools as well as entertainment devices.

PerfectlyFlawed

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2006
iflipper said:
You can record lectures on them with the recorder attachment, not to mention using the photo screens for lecture slides, videos of lectures or just putting text lecture notes on them. They can be tools as well as entertainment devices.

I don't see how it has anything to do with them being educational. they offer discounts on every apple product except the Xserve. it pretty much just helps out students get stuff thats practical for a student, not just stuff thats a necessity for a student

not a big fan of the headphones.

janstett

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2006
Chester, NJ
I work at a large company in the chip business and we have a corporate discount, which does apply to the iPods ($328 for 80 GB 5G iPod).

mmmeow

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2006
Apple Canada Discounts (Not Educational)

For you Canadian buyers out there who want a discount on the new ipods, there is an alternative. Not exactly something that is advertised by Apple obviously but is still a legitimate alternative for a discount if you don't have a student/school id#. Go the apple canada website: http://www.apple.com/ca/

In the serach engine (search apple) type in the following: "apple employee discounts"

It will give you links to several "corporate stores" to which Apple gives discounts to. I won't name any specific companies here but you will see them when you click on any of the links (there are several to choose from). It is technically for "employees, and their family & friends" but if you're wanting to save some $$ on the ipods, that is an alternative. I did however notice that it is still slightly cheaper to use your educational discount to purchase the Apple desktop computers/laptops though. You may want to compare prices if purchasing anything other than ipods. :)

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I don't see anything on any of those pages or in the generic terms and conditions PDF about including "family and "friends." Everything I see says that you have to be a full-time or part-time employee.

mmmeow

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2006
WildCowboy said:
I don't see anything on any of those pages or in the generic terms and conditions PDF about including "family and "friends." Everything I see says that you have to be a full-time or part-time employee.

Ok, maybe I was wrong about the friends and family part but I was told by a friend who works at one of the listed companies that they were allowed to share the discount but perhaps she was wrong or the company was misinformed??

You could also try this Future Shop Link to a coupon worth $15 off any purchase over $150: http://www.futureshop.ca/marketing/coupon_sept06/default.asp?langid=EN&logon=&langid=EN. Best Buy has something similar but they exclude the purchase of ipods. There doesn't seem to be any exclusions on the purchase of ipods on the FS coupon. It's only valid until Sept 24/06 though.

elisha cuthbert

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
Melbourne
i think that the only reason they took away the education discount was to stop people impersonating people that had education discounts
e.g. a non educatory person getting a discount on an iPod they didn't deserve

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
pianoman said:
perhaps because the iPods are now the cheapest they have ever been, Apple decided to do away with the education discount. sad, i know, but a 4GB nano for $200 - that's a great price considering its previous price point!

The nanos are bigger, but the price point hasn't changed. Only the big iPods and shuffle dropped in price.

lewion said:
We all knew this would happen right? so why are we acting like unknowns then???

Did we? Has Apple stopped the edu discount with new models before?

plinkoman said:
before, a 30GB iPod with edu discount was $279; now, with no discount it's $249... thats $30 less than before for edu customers...

so whats the problem here?

Not a biggie with the big iPod, but without the discount, you can't get a nano as cheap for EDU folks.

One thing nobody has pointed out yet - even though there's no discount on iPods, there's a small discount on applecare for the ipod if you buy it EDU.

bwanac

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2006
The question now is 5.5g better than saving $70 and getting the refrubed 30gb?

Eduardo1971

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2006
Lost Angeles, Ca. usa
Jon'sLightBulbs said:
Good news for some of us: the state, county, and federal employee discount still applies to ipods. The discount is 6%.

May you please post the link. I used to have the Federal employee Apple store bookmarked, but the link no longer works.:confused:

MosheHaven

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2006
Potomac, Maryland, USA
How do I login to use this?

I am trying to find where to go on the web to purchase with the Federal Employee discount. Do you know where it is? I found it earlier tonight but then lost track of it. This is not for a purchase by the Government but for personal purchase.

Thanks

Good news for some of us: the state, county, and federal employee discount still applies to ipods. The discount is 6%.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I am trying to find where to go on the web to purchase with the Federal Employee discount. Do you know where it is? I found it earlier tonight but then lost track of it. This is not for a purchase by the Government but for personal purchase.

All of the personal US government employee stores can be found through the links on the right side of this page.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.