Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Szczelec33

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
I aint ever gonna step into an office as a professional digital artist web designer and journalist. Ever. No more corporate culture or white collar offices. Im sick of dealing with people, having to sit still until the hours tick by despite being done with my workload or an annoying boss down my shoulders competition within this corporate culture and backstabbing people as well as simply me wanting to work digitally on procreate on iPad even though they may have set up some mac or computer in front of me nudging me to use photoshop. No more. Ever. I am my own man and my most creative parts come out if I have the freedom. Watch this video below he talks about how the digital art scene is shifting and how now you can even do better stuff and even some pros are switching entirely on an iPad vs mac or pc:

[video]

This guy is basically reassuring me i am going in a good direction with my life and do all the stuff he does in a similar fashion except I don't even touch photoshop but do illustrator and my entire raster work is on iPad. And i do use paper and pencil as the first sketch at times than put it into procreate. Illustrstor comes out at end sometimes for some of the effects or filters or if i want to add some vector objects in like a flying robot or something.

Last edited:
Reactions: airdrop

Szczelec33

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
Ok, I fixed some of the spelling. I originally wrote this post on iPad after watching the vid and being excited. The iPad touchscreen is not great for fast typing and lots of text.

Duckyduckbumps

macrumors regular
May 29, 2017
Offices tend to be designed for surveillance, not productivity.

Projects may be highly collaborative but tasks tend to be focused.

Open plan also suits extroverts more than introverts.

I was just speaking to HR about some of these issues.

Believe me, they are too thick and too brainwashed to get it.

But not everyone can just quit the office.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
I've been lucky to not work in offices much. I did for a bit in the early 90s, and I worked a job (they made a program with a name that is used in this conversation) that had a bit of an office environment for 9 years in the late 90s-early 2000s. Wasn't exactly the same though.

Retail though, I got my retail fill.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
For the last 15 years of my career (IT technical support), I worked from home. I found it much more conducive to getting stuff done (and better for my general mental health) than the first 30 or so years of my work life in a cubicle farm. If I ever needed to reach out to a colleague, they were just a text/phone call away... and I had 100% control over my immediate work environment.

Even now, in retirement, I do free-lance work... and am quite productive in my home office.

Last edited:

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
For the last 15 years of my career (IT technical support), I worked from home. I found it much more conducive to getting stuff done (and better for my general mental health) than the first 30 or so years of my work life in a cubicle farm. If I ever needed to reach out to a colleague, they were just a text/phone call away... and I had 100% control over my immediate work environment.

I work IT support, too, but for 2 schools in a school district. At one school, I have a 4' x 3' desk, so not much room to work. At my other school, I don't have a desk at all. I have to carry a radio so people can find me. And when someone does have an issue, I have to go hunting for a place to work. There are a few desks/tables in the classrooms or library, but I always feel like I'm in the way. The other IT techs in the district might be totally fine working from home & working remotely, but I find the students & staff react better to face-to-face interactions, not over e-mail or phone.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I work IT support, too, but for 2 schools in a school district. At one school, I have a 4' x 3' desk, so not much room to work. At my other school, I don't have a desk at all. I have to carry a radio so people can find me. And when someone does have an issue, I have to go hunting for a place to work. There are a few desks/tables in the classrooms or library, but I always feel like I'm in the way. The other IT techs in the district might be totally fine working from home & working remotely, but I find the students & staff react better to face-to-face interactions, not over e-mail or phone.

I get it... there's a huge difference between IT support at a school district and IT support for a multi-national financial institution...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.