Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LOLZpersonok

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Calgary, Canada
A few days ago, I replaced my iPhone 5 with a new iPhone 5 because of some very strange issues causing the battery to drain very fast. They gave me the new iPhone 5 running iOS 6.1.4, so when I got home, I upgraded it to the latest version of iOS - iOS 7.1. Now, what's weird is that there are no natural sounding voices for Siri, it almost sounds worse than in iOS 6. I choose any voice dialect of English I want and I still have the same result, it is never any different.

I've even tried the other languages and the voice gender for Siri, nothing has Apple's new natural sound to it.

If it is useful to know, I upgraded the phone by connecting it to my computer. I chose to just upgrade it rather than restore and upgrade, and I set it up as a new phone. Does anyone have any suggestions?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Leave it plugged in an connected to WiFi overnight or for some time during the day and over a period of a couple of days/nights it will download the high quality voices.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Leave it plugged in an connected to WiFi overnight or for some time during the day and over a period of a couple of days/nights it will download the high quality voices.

I can confirm this works. Every time I either A. get a replacement device or B. restore the software, Siri and TBT Navigation sound very robotic and LQ. Same thing would happen with iOS 6. After a day or so, the voices are downloaded to the iPhone and it sounds better.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Mine is on Wifi close to 24/7 but the new Siri voice for Australia sounds terrible. It's fuzzy and almost unintelligible.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Hah! No worries mate. I've turned it off and back on again after a reboot so maybe that will kick off the high-quality voices.

the australian siri sucks. it doesnt pronounce things very well.
but then if i switch to the american siri, it doesnt understand me very well...

LOLZpersonok

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Calgary, Canada
How long do I really have to keep it plugged in? My phone is connected to Wi-Fi all the time, but does it have to be plugged in? The high quality sounds still haven't come in.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I've done a restore.

It still cuts off words, if the sentence ends in "too." it barely gets the first "o" out. As if it's saying the word "top" and leaving off the p.

It also has fuzzy "s" sounds, the "p's" pop like there's no pop filter over the microphone and whilst speaking words will suddenly sound completely garbled like it's a very early version of a computer voice. Almost like Stephen Hawkins.

During speech the pronunciations of the Australian towns and cities (which admittedly can be difficult) have gone totally haywire. The previous voice was more mechanical sure but the pronunciations were spot on.

It's particularly noticeable during turn-by-turn directions. The increase in bass in the voice and the fuzzy sounds make the voice quite difficult to hear over the road noise etc. The old voice was clear as it didn't have so much in the lower registers.

I really dislike the new voice we have. The male version is pretty much the same but I just can't get used to the male voice after so long with the female voice.

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
I thought high quality voices came with 7.0.5 or even 7.1 but can't remember which..

Sym0

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2013
No natural sounding voice for Siri in iOS 7.1

My 7.1 voices were excellent on my 4s but when I upgraded to 5s they went fuzzy and it sounds crap.

Australian voice.

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
Why is everyone giving you stupid advice, such as resetting network settings and leaving it on all night, instead of telling you which setting downloads the high quality voice?

Settings > General > Accessibility > VoiceOver > Languages & Dialects > Default Dialect > Enhanced Quality

LOLZpersonok

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Why is everyone giving you stupid advice, such as resetting network settings and leaving it on all night, instead of telling you which setting downloads the high quality voice?

Settings > General > Accessibility > VoiceOver > Languages & Dialects > Default Dialect > Enhanced Quality

Okay, I headed over to the setting and found it to be turned on already. I tested Siri to find no high quality voices, so I turned it off for a few seconds then I turned it back on. It now says "Preparing to download".

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Okay, I headed over to the setting and found it to be turned on already. I tested Siri to find no high quality voices, so I turned it off for a few seconds then I turned it back on. It now says "Preparing to download".

Did it work or is the issue persisting?

----------

Maybe because none of us knew it was there? Don't you think if anyone here would have known that we would have told the OP from the get-go instead of wasting their time?

Thank you for pointing that out, now I know.

Sym0

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2013
Mines the same. Was enabled and sounded terrible. Disabled, reset, enabled and it downloaded. No change. Rest. No change. It doesn't work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.