Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sdwaltz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 29, 2015
Indiana
I have a weird one here, along with a possible answer, but I just don't see how the answer could be the case. Sorry in advance for the wall of text but I like to provide the most complete information possible.

5 Apple TV's in my home of various generations (1 ATV HD, 1 ATV 4K first gen, 2 ATV 4k 2nd Gen, 1 ATV 4k newest Gen). All are connected via WiFi. TVos 16.1 for awhile and now TVos 16.2.

Internet is gigabit AT&T fiber.

Over the past month, but particularly over the past few days, 4 out of the 5 ATV's (haven't tested the 5th but I will later) are giving me intermittent but persistent "No Network Detected" notifications. Sometimes my video stream doesn't get interrupted, but oftentimes it does. Checking network settings shows I am connected to my WiFi, most of the time with a strong signal. This behavior occurs across all of them that I have tested.

The part that's strange: everything else in the house works. iPhones connected to WiFi, Macbook Airs connected to WiFi, baby monitors connected to WiFi, iPads, etc etc. This problem seems to be limited to the Apple TVs only. As a matter of fact, typing this on my Macbook Air, I'm staring at my non-working Apple TV (which is 10ft from my router/modem) and just ran a Speedtest on my Macbook Air which is approximately the same distance from the router and yielded 331mbps. When I can get the Speedtest to work on the ATV, I'm getting 10-12mbps.

Restarts help for a short while. Same with unplugging and plugging back in. But after a few minutes, boom..."no network detected" again.

Making it more interesting, and the "possible" answer I alluded to at the top: this started happening the day we plugged in our Christmas tree in the same outlet that our WiFi router uses. I thought it might be coincidence but now I'm not so sure...but that can't be it. Or can it? Seems implausible but it's the only thing that's changed.

I've read of WiFi issues with TVos 16.1, but after a (very difficult to do considering the WiFi keeps dropping in and out) update, the problem remains.

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
Xmas tree lights could be causing radio interference with the ATVs. It is possible the ATVs have some unique wifi design that can be interfered with by the Xmas tree light. Most electronics emit some kind of electromagnetic signal, and radio (Wifi) is a form of electromagnetic signal. Certain frequencies can interfere with other frequencies, so it is indeed possible the Xmas tree lights are causing an issue with the ATVs but not other devices.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Internet is gigabit AT&T fiber.

So the modem is AT&T. Is the WiFi router integrated with the AT&T modem?

Checking network settings shows I am connected to my WiFi, most of the time with a strong signal.

Are you connected to a "combo" SSID where the choice of 2.4, 5, or 6 Ghz is automatic, or do you have separate SSIDs for each frequency?

How congested is your network?

Screen Shot 2022-12-18 at 01.34.19.png

sdwaltz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 29, 2015
Indiana
Wanted to come back here and say that, of course after I caved and started a thread about it, the issue seems to have resolved itself.

I guess I should have posted sooner ;)

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
I have this every now and then still and I’m on Ethernet. Been following allong through many tvOS versions now. Pretty annoying. Never stops playback of anything for me, though. But the pop-up keeps showing up.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Remember, there is only so much wifi pie to go around (no matter how fast one's broadband tier speed from their broadband provider). OP has FIVE AppleTVs in his/her house. IF they are all on wifi, that's a LOT of video bandwidth demand potential if up to all 5 are sometimes in use. There's at least one MB, there's at least one phone, etc... all presumably taking a bite out of the very same pie. It would be little surprise to me that when wifi is in higher demand by so many wifi devices, some will report connection losses at times. That pie is not infinite.

OPs problem apparently resolved itself but should the problem pop up again, I'd take note of what else in the home is actively using wifi... maybe shut those down for an experiment and see if the problem persists or ceases. If it ceases, fire the other stuff back up and resume what they were doing and see if the problem pops again. Repeat. Repeat. And this will probably deduce the real cause.

If OP lives in an apartment with other wifi networks around them, is the problem seeming to show itself in more "prime time" periods when maybe neighbors are also using a lot of wifi? Any neighbors friends with whom OP has potentially shared a wifi password and now that neighbors devices are auto-connecting with his/her wifi vs. their own (eating ANOTHER bit of OPs wifi pie from OUTSIDEthe walls of their home)? If this is possible, change the password to lock out all external (possibly inadvertent) "freeloaders" and test again.

Now #6 is a DIFFERENT situation. Ethernet bandwidth is also not unlimited but much greater than the wifi pie. I'd still apply some of the same thinking above in terms of how much overall demand is on the home network when this problem appears. Document when it happens to see if "prime time" use for the neighborhood is when it mostly occurs... which could simply reflect heavy demand on the bigger neighborhood variation of the (much bigger) pie.

And of course, there are simply "blinks" in streams of bandwidth... which could simply reflect quality of signal, quality of service, local demands on service, distant server load, etc. A change of service or an upgrade of service may further reduce such blinks.

And then lastly, test the stuff you can test: different ethernet cable, different RG6 connection to the cable modem, check all connections from outside and within, etc. Reboot everything. Swap out any intermediary devices like a switch. Anything possibly overheating at times? Fan failed in some key device? Etc.

If I was OP, I would have run a bunch of tests with Christmas lights on and off, plugged in and unplugged to see if I could much more confidently confirm that there seemed to be direct link to that variable. But my own gut guess is dominated by too many wifi mouths to feed for the amount of wifi pie available in that house.

Last edited:

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
Remember, there is only so much wifi pie to go around. OP has FIVE AppleTVs in his/her house. IF they are all on wifi, that's a LOT of video bandwidth demand potential if up to all 5 are sometimes in use. There's a MB, there's a phone, etc... all presumably taking a bite out of the very same pie. It would be little surprise to me that when wifi is in higher demand by so many wifi devices, some will report connection losses at times. That pie is not infinite.

OPs problem apparently resolved itself but should the problem pop up again, I'd take note of what else in the home is actively using wifi... maybe shut those down for an experiment and see if the problem keeps showing itself. If not, fire the other stuff back up and resume what they were doing and see if the problem pops again. Repeat. Repeat. And this will probably deduce the real cause.

If OP lives in an apartment with other wifi networks around them, is the problem seeming to show itself in more "prime time" periods when maybe neighbors are also using a lot of wifi? Any neighbors friends with whom OP has potentially shared a wifi password and now that neighbors devices are auto-connecting with his/her wifi vs. their own (eating ANOTHER bit of OPs wifi pie from OUTSIDEthe walls of their home)? If this is possible, change the password to lock out all external (possibly inadvertent) "freeloaders" and test again.

Now #6 is a DIFFERENT situation. Ethernet bandwidth is also not unlimited but much greater than the wifi pie. I'd still apply some of the same thinking above in terms of how much overall demand is on the home network when this problem appears. Document when it happens to see if "prime time" use for the neighborhood is when it mostly occurs... which could simply reflect heavy demand on the bigger neighborhood variation of the (much bigger) pie.

And of course, there are simply "blinks" in streams of bandwidth... which could simply reflect quality of signal, quality of service, local demands on service, distant server load, etc. A change of service or an upgrade of service may further reduce such blinks.

And then lastly, test the stuff you can test: different ethernet cable, different RG6 connection to the cable modem, check all connections from outside and within, etc. Reboot everything. Swap out any intermediary devices like a switch. Anything possibly overheating at times? Fan failed in some key device? Etc.

If I was OP, I would have run a bunch of tests with Christmas lights on and off, plugged in and unplugged to see if I could much more confidently confirm that there seemed to be direct link to that variable. But my own gut guess is dominated by too many wifi mouths to feed for the amount of wifi pie available in that house.
I still think a ”no network detected” message is a bit harsh just for the reason of the network switch, router, wifi or whatever being under load. Also, for me it’s unlikely that has got to do with this as I’ve seen this at times where I’ve been the only one in the household using the network (which is a dedicated fiber connection).

mikext

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Dallas
I'm also on AT&T Fiber.

I've had this problem intermittently for years. However, the past few days, it's been happening every day, and it's infuriating. Especially since I probably use my Apple TV more than any other device. I've tried everything and it keeps happening.

Maybe it's time for a new Apple TV?

shakopeemn

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2014
I'm also on AT&T Fiber.

I've had this problem intermittently for years. However, the past few days, it's been happening every day, and it's infuriating. Especially since I probably use my Apple TV more than any other device. I've tried everything and it keeps happening.

Maybe it's time for a new Apple TV?

Mikext - You haven't mentioned what you're using for a WIFI router. If you're relying on ATT equipment, you may want to start with adding your own WIFI router.

Reactions: mikext

ThereisnoLisa:onlyCube

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
I am just going to vent here for a bit. I have this issue except that my stream never gets interrupted. What I have is a super obnoxious message every two minutes telling me there is no wifi and then basically saying "never mind". Even though what I am watching is not stopped or interrupted in any way, this makes everything unwatchable. I don't need someone to tell me I have no connection... I will know when I can't stream anymore. GET RID OF THIS MESSAGE!

That is all, thank you.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
You haven't mentioned what you're using for a WIFI router. If you're relying on ATT equipment, you may want to start with adding your own WIFI router.

First place to start is to try a different router from a quality manufacturer. Routers are often the weak link.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.