Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JtheLemur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2002
Seriously, this is a minor problem in the grand scheme, but it’s driving me nuts. I haven’t seen a new Aerial screensaver in months on my AppleTV.

There were supposed to be nine new ones in Dec 2021; and when I look at the video list through other sources I see plenty that I have never seen.

What the flying frack? Apple PRs this trash but does anyone ever see it? Gimme some Scotland and Iceland FFS.

How do I force this piece of **** box to get new Aerial screensavers? I’ve reset, changed screensavers, rebooted, hit it with a small hammer, and it’s still the same ones over and over and over. It’s been fracking months since new ones have been out and I haven’t seen a single one.

Holy F this is really driving me bananas.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Do you have a lot of apps, especially games, saved on your Apple TV? Your storage could be full, and the iOS will not download new Aerials unless there is space for them.

Sidenote, I think the way that Apple does that Ariel screensavers is pretty dumb. Why not give the user the choice and what screen savers they can use? Why must it be at random?

AustinJerry

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2013
Austin, Texas
Seriously, this is a minor problem in the grand scheme, but it’s driving me nuts. I haven’t seen a new Aerial screensaver in months on my AppleTV.

No disrespect, but I have never understood why some people obsess over screensavers. Do you leave your TV and ATV on when you are not watching anything, just to have a screensaver playing?

macsplusmacs

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2014
"Gimme some Scotland and Iceland FFS."

Do you see "The Isle of Skye" on yours?

My girlfriend commented it yesterday when it popped up. That is our new favorite.

Reactions: madeirabhoy

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013

There were supposed to be nine new ones in Dec 2021; and when I look at the video list through other sources I see plenty that I have never seen.

What the flying frack? Apple PRs this trash but does anyone ever see it? Gimme some Scotland and Iceland FFS.

How do I force this piece of **** box to get new Aerial screensavers? I’ve reset, changed screensavers, rebooted, hit it with a small hammer, and it’s still the same ones over and over and over. It’s been fracking months since new ones have been out and I haven’t seen a single one.

OP, The HDR screensavers only display if you have the ATV 4K set up to use HDR as the default. I found this out the hard way when I switched to SDR as the standard output. SDR tends to display the menu and interface in a more pleasing way, but the HDR screensavers quit showing. I switched back to HDR to get them as they are so much more pleasing to watch. I definitely agree we should be able to select which ones we want to see cycle, but Apple is all about "you get what we give you" mentality.

@AustinJerry, you need to look beyond your own nose then. We are all different, so never assume that what pleases you pleases anyone else, or vice versa. Sometimes I personally like to display them along with some nice music when not actually watching TV, especially when I have company over.

Reactions: Zephar77

martens

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
I got the new Apple TV a few weeks ago (Ethernet & 128GB) and the Aerial Screensavers have yet to pull in the full set I have on the previous Apple TV, with 'only' 64GB. I have it set to update Daily FWIW. I have plenty of free space, obviously, so what is the deal?

Gator5000e

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2018
I believe this site shows all the screen savers Apple has available. It says the site pulls directly from Apple’s servers. The site says:

The Apple TV features Aerial screensavers, stunning slow-mo shots of various landmarks around the world. In tvOS 12, the aerials were expanded to include sweeping shots from the International Space Station. tvOS 13 added new underwater scenes including coral reefs and close-ups with shoals of fish and other ocean creatures.

The Apple TV periodically fetches new videos from an Apple server. This page interprets that data source and shows all the possible videos that the Aerial screensavers can include. This page is automatically refreshed and kept up-to-date as Apple adds new videos into the rotation.

You can watch them all above, streaming directly from Apple’s servers. Just click one one of the links and the movie will start playing. The captions update along with the video.

martens

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
10 days later, it is possible I have another 10 aerial videos. Still nowhere near the full set. No Humpback whales!

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
No disrespect, but I have never understood why some people obsess over screensavers. Do you leave your TV and ATV on when you are not watching anything, just to have a screensaver playing?
For me at least, I have an OLED TV, so I have my screensaver set to two minutes to prevent burn-in. Since I end up seeing it often, I'd rather pleasing and interesting videos download.

JtheLemur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2002
Whelp, posting a reply on my own thread. Apparently there are some screensavers from Yosemite that were released in 2021 that I saw on my Windows machine with the Aerial screensaver. I’ve never seen these on my AppleTV once, which still seems to be cycling through the same batch, with maybe one new Iceland one, always mixed into the same set of once’s that have been there for freaking ever. Lol. This shouldn’t bug me as much as it does but it’s such a shame that none of this awesome footage ever gets seen on my big TV. :(

Zephar77

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2015
Texas

Your post and subsequent answers have been up for a while but I'm wondering if you found a fix and access to all the aerials? I too am stuck with the same aerials I've seen for over a year. Lost the China, never seen the Grand Canyon nor Yosemite and switching HDR to SDR and so forth just limits more of what you see. The only choice we have is to either see all or none of the categories. I set up the aerials on my iMac one time and had access to all of them and could see them all in any order I wanted But it interfered and interacted and strange ways with other programs so I had to eventually delete the whole thing, and it's not the same on a small screen like it is on the large HDR new TV.
Frustrated also with this issue of never changing screensavers from Apple. Seth

Zephar77

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2015
Texas
OP, The HDR screensavers only display if you have the ATV 4K set up to use HDR as the default. I found this out the hard way when I switched to SDR as the standard output. SDR tends to display the menu and interface in a more pleasing way, but the HDR screensavers quit showing. I switched back to HDR to get them as they are so much more pleasing to watch. I definitely agree we should be able to select which ones we want to see cycle, but Apple is all about "you get what we give you" mentality.

@AustinJerry, you need to look beyond your own nose then. We are all different, so never assume that what pleases you pleases anyone else, or vice versa. Sometimes I personally like to display them along with some nice music when not actually watching TV, especially when I have company over.
Howdy! Are you still around? You give good sound advice, and to the point. Concur with your analysis of a few judgmental comments, which were not particularly helpful.
Does anyone know how to activate the Apple server into downloading other aerials? I have a new 128 GB 4K Apple TV, and I had more aerials on my 64 GB that I moved to my bedroom. I have no games, minimal streaming apps that I use, under 12 on the start up screen. Yet, seeing the same 40 aerials for over half a year, with no changes. I see no way to activate the server.
I noticed the same thing switching from HDR and SDR, a curious finding but wonder why the aerials don't downscale so they show in any video mode for all folks to see?. If you or anyone has done anything that stimulates the Apple server to DL different aerials, instead of showing the same ones I've been seeing for the past six months, please advise. Best, Seth

niteflyr

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2011
Southern Cal
There is an app called SpaceReclaimer ($0.99) that will delete everything in the cache. That might get some different screen savers to repopulate. I haven't tried it but saw the app mentioned in another thread.

Last edited:

Zephar77

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2015
Texas
There is an app called SpaceReclaimer ($0.99) that will delete everything in the cache. That might get some different screen savers to repopulate. I haven't tried it but saw the app mentioned in another thread.
Thank you for the information! Best, Seth

JtheLemur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2002
Your post and subsequent answers have been up for a while but I'm wondering if you found a fix and access to all the aerials? I too am stuck with the same aerials I've seen for over a year. Lost the China, never seen the Grand Canyon nor Yosemite and switching HDR to SDR and so forth just limits more of what you see. The only choice we have is to either see all or none of the categories. I set up the aerials on my iMac one time and had access to all of them and could see them all in any order I wanted But it interfered and interacted and strange ways with other programs so I had to eventually delete the whole thing, and it's not the same on a small screen like it is on the large HDR new TV.
Frustrated also with this issue of never changing screensavers from Apple. Seth

I have not! :( If you try that SpaceReclaimer that the other poster suggested, please let me know how it goes! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.