Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

awrootbeer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Spymac last night posted saying no new hardware @ the Apple expo! Looks like the DP Powerbook is out of the question :)

And for those of you who arn't fans of Spymac, ThinkSecret just posted the same thing.

Sucks to be an Apple user :) Just kidding, I'm happy with my new PM.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Apple made it clear last year in August that they were not going to have any new hardware at the Paris Expo (2001). They most likely will do the same again this year.

BTW, when is the expo? Seriously...

If there isn't going to be new hardware, then, ladies and gentlemen, let's take a look at the software department. There is the possibility of iCal and iSync to follow up to iPod OS 1.2 and Jaguar, along with the possibility of an iMovie/FCP update. I would pay close attention to a possible iPhoto 2 at Paris, though, as I think it will provide the option to load specific pics, instead of just dumping everything on your camera onto your computer.

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Originally posted by King Cobra

BTW, when is the expo? Seriously...

It's this Tuesday.
And Apple needs to get iCal and iSync out soon, those are absolutely essential (okay, maybe not, but it sure as hell would be nice) for some things, like syncing with a PDA or a Bluetooth phone.
:)

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
I hope they are wrong. It is really sad. Apple just keeps falling behind more and more.

nicely

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2002
Brooklyn, NY - Cobble Hill
no new hardware in paris

I wasn't expecting any...the ibooks and the powerbooks are the only expected update and they have rebates until the 25th...look for new laptops then...maybe the 26th

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
A certain company is trying to shift product udpates away from major Expos. They've found that the lack of orders directly preceding an expo, as well as the expo dates not agreeing with major edu buying schedules have made this a bad idea.

You can expect to see new software releases at all Apple expos, and sometimes product introductions, but I think that will be it in the future.

This allows for a more consistent sales pattern, and keeps you guessing as to when updates arrive.

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
I can wait til the 26th, but if I have to wait til January, they better have something mindblowing coming out.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
I agree with the previous three posts. And I think late Sep./Early October would be an excellent date.

This past Friday a classmate had a look at the iBook I brought to class and said he was going to get a Mac. :) He said that he hates desktops and wants to do something with Photography, but not for heavy usage. I recommended him to wait until Sep/Oct until new iBooks are released, so he (1) can get an older one cheap, or (2) get the fastest one.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I don't think anyone actually thought TiBooks/iBooks would be updated at Paris...

the only hints have been low powerbook supply reports (which are nonspecific), and a competely BS report about dual G5's via reader email at MacBidouille.

arn

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Originally posted by arn
I don't think anyone actually thought TiBooks/iBooks would be updated at Paris...

the only hints have been low powerbook supply reports (which are nonspecific), and a competely BS report about dual G5's via reader email at MacBidouille.

arn

What? What reader e-mail? :D

Anyway, they expected G5s? Duals is already crazy (read my sig), but G5s? Before they are introduced into powermacs? Wishful thinking!:D

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
I've been waiting for a change to the iBook line-up for a few months, which I know is kind of too soon...but the addition of a 12" DVD model isn't what I was waiting for... I guess it is cool for people to have options, but I was hoping for some better specs.

iTurd

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2002
daddy needs a new powerbook

I've been waiting to get a new PB ever since August. I even chose to wait until MWParis. But unfortunately, the newest from ThinkSecret really hits the nail on the head.

No new PBs because:
1) HW sales soft across the board
2) Apple moving away from announcing product at events due to sales slowdown leading up to event.
3) a realistic speed bump (1Ghz) is too small of a value to be worth the effort. (If you think there are going to be duals in the PB anytime soon, you've either been on daddy's computer too long or you've stopped taking your medication.)

There will be PBs in October because:
1) errrrr...PBs have gone 6 months w/o an upgrade
2) edu pricing ends soon/trying to get rid of inventory

It just doesn't add up. I hate it every bit as much as the next guy, but what are you going to do in the face of such evidence? I guess I better just settle for a 800mhz Ti...:(

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2002
The truth

........is that some of the hardware, even 2 or 3 years old, can do anything any new system can do. My 400mhz iMac DV runs Photoshop pretty damn well, sure it doesn't launch in .00003 seconds, but I can hanle the .5 second delay...... I just ordered a dual ghz G4 quicksilver, and I have no doubt that will be even faster then my Athalon XP2100+ ..........and while both of these systems are now considered "outdated" ........if my old iMac dv can handle most of today's software, I can just imagine what this supposedly outdated Quiclksilver I'm getting is going to do. :confused:

There is always a race for the latest and greatest, but I think systems have become so powerful that anything bought in the past year or so will now be viable for many years to come. Kind of like cars...... dramatic changes in the first 30-40 years........ but progress kind of leveled off after that....... or at least slowed to a point where a 20-30 year old vehicle could still operate on a highway without a problem......sort of like my mint 1980 Jeep CJ7:cool:

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2001
of course no hardware upgrades.
We should see major powermac upgrades in february
top of the line 1.4 GHZ! wooooow

note sarcasm......:eek:

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
I know I can get away with using any Apple computer, but when you are spending your $$$ and you frequent rumor sites...you tend to want to see updates at the right time...not after you buy. I will buy regardless of if Apple updates the iBook or TiBook in the next month.

Paolo

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2001
The Moon
Apple falling behind?

Apple is not falling behind!

Okay so there chip technology is a little below the bar of the other generic drones.

But everything else there doing is way ahead of everyone else.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by JSRockit
I know I can get away with using any Apple computer, but when you are spending your $$$ and you frequent rumor sites...you tend to want to see updates at the right time...not after you buy. I will buy regardless of if Apple updates the iBook or TiBook in the next month.

The TiBook is due an overhaul sometime next month I would have thought...... although I know exactly what you mean about revisions just after buying... it's happened to me with a beige G3....... :(

the best time to buy is exactly after a revision is released, then you pretty much know you'll be safe for 6 months...... :)

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Re: Apple falling behind?

Originally posted by Paolo
Apple is not falling behind!

But everything else there doing is way ahead of everyone else.

Like what? Way Ahead... I don't know about that.

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2002
Re: Bah

Originally posted by 3777
........is that some of the hardware, even 2 or 3 years old, can do anything any new system can do. My 400mhz iMac DV runs Photoshop pretty damn well, sure it doesn't launch in .00003 seconds, but I can hanle the .5 second delay...... I just ordered a dual ghz G4 quicksilver, and I have no doubt that will be even faster then my Athalon XP2100+ ..........and while both of these systems are now considered "outdated" ........if my old iMac dv can handle most of today's software, I can just imagine what this supposedly outdated Quiclksilver I'm getting is going to do. :confused:

There is always a race for the latest and greatest, but I think systems have become so powerful that anything bought in the past year or so will now be viable for many years to come. Kind of like cars...... dramatic changes in the first 30-40 years........ but progress kind of leveled off after that....... or at least slowed to a point where a 20-30 year old vehicle could still operate on a highway without a problem......sort of like my mint 1980 Jeep CJ7:cool:

Just got an e-mail saying the Dual G4 Quicksilver is sold out. Back to the iMac!:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.