Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iCore24

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Michigan
In IOS 7 beta, they had IOS 6 sounds and ringtones. But after the GM release they added all the new tones.

Will we see the same with OS X Yosemite?

They already changed the startup look by making it black instead of white and put a loading bar under a white Apple logo.

Is the ancient startup sound seeing a end soon along with other sound effects?

bennibeef

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2013
I have a different iMessage sound, but I'm not 100% sure if its new, but its already an annoying biiiing

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
didn't the iMessage notification have a different sound during the Keynote demo?

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
In IOS 7 beta, they had IOS 6 sounds and ringtones. But after the GM release they added all the new tones.

They already changed the startup look by making it black instead of white and put a loading bar under a white Apple logo.

Just because Apple added new tones to iOS7 doesn't mean they will do the same in Yosemite. They didn't add any to Mavericks, and TBH I don't remember the last time Apple added any truly new sounds to OS X. There really isn't a need or a demand for new sounds, so it would make more sense for Apple to focus on the things that are drawing attention.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom

I'm pretty sure the startup chime is conformation of diagnostic checks being passed on boot and is hard coded in the firmware - it may be on something like the sound chip, I'm not 100% on where it is exactly.

Anyway, an OS update can't change it.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.

Does it matter? They may add some in the GM, but what does it matter during the DEVELOPER previews?

yeldarbnamdlog

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2014
I'll tell you what I've missed most, since the time of OS8 and OS9 and even the early days of the first public OS X beta, is: The sound alert that Apple called 'Indigo' - That loud, music 'donk'.

They kept Sosumi, but removed Indigo.

I've always considered Indigo one of the two TRADEMARK Apple sounds...For me, when I think Apple, I always think of Indigo and EEP!

BRING THEM BACK DAMNIT!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.