Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sciman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2004
UK
Can someone please tell me why no one can help me to set up my xserver to recieve email from my domain provider?

I have asked in all of the forums, but no one can give me a step by step guide.

Begining to think it's not possible?

:rolleyes:

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
couldn't you just call technical support? they have a whole room of people on the phone that they pay for things just like this. they'll even be nice to you.

seriously though, while all e-mail accts set up in a very similar way. some have weird details that can make it difficult to give you a step-by-step walkthrough without knowing anything about your service provider, or even your email client.

it's like posting "can someone please give me a step-by-step walkthrough to install my new stereo into my new car?"

sciman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2004
UK
True!

I have tried to call the help desk and they inform me that i need to spend £127.00 to get some help.

Although it's a new system they tell me that i cant get support for system set up.

I suppose I’m not looking for the definitive guide, just would like to know where certain things are i.e.

Where do i enter the pop.server details and the appropriate user name a password to download my emails. Do i need to use DNS services to allow this to work etc.

The rest should be the same as other systems?

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
i don't want to sound critical, but you probably should do some reading on your own or pay up and get the technical support.

it's a new system, yes, but the price of hardware doesn't include tutorials on how to use it... if you buy dreamweaver, the price you pay for that doesn't include basic tutorials on HTML authoring.

i'd re-post under a more generic headline and ask about recommendations on good readings on setting up xserve.

many of us here are quite knowledgeable but we aren't replacements for research and studying.

sciman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2004
UK
Wow! didn't expect that response.

Have you ever read the Xserver manual. It's not very specific and spends too much time explaining what POP, SMTP, IMAP means rather than where to enter the appropriate information.

Don't want to spend £127.00 for someone to point me to a radio button or switch, to enable the appropriate protocols or options to work. Sorry but don't have that kind of money!

Thought that you guys would be able to at least point me in the right direction?

:(

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
sorry, no offense meant.

can you go to a library? i'd look for a book on OS X panther server? help menu in the OS? did you muck around in the system profile panels?

you are right, you shouldn't pay. i wasn't really suggesting that you pay for your questions. i was sort of sarcastically mentioning it as an option.

you probably want to narrow your questions and re-post. people here may be wary of "can you give me step-by-step instructions?" just because that would seem to imply a lot of effort.

sciman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2004
UK
Cheers,

I realized you weren’t being funny.... but thanks for coming back and letting me know.

I have sorted the outgoing mail, however I still cannot see where you put the user name and pass word to access the pop server.

Do I have to set up a specific user to connect to the pop server i.e. administrator and down load the mail first???

Sorry if this is becoming a pain in the ass but I’m getting confused and frustrated with not being able to receive mal from the pop server (domain provider).

Lanbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Re: No one can help

Originally posted by sciman
Can someone please tell me why no one can help me to set up my xserver to recieve email from my domain provider?

I have asked in all of the forums, but no one can give me a step by step guide.

Begining to think it's not possible?

:rolleyes:

First you need to have DNS setup correctly. Next is that your ISP has to allow you to run a mail server.

No one can give you step-by-step instructions because there are too many scenarios.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Before we go any further, am I hearing this correct in that all you want to do is set the Mail application to check your e-mail? If that is the case then just open Mail, go to Preferences, then Accounts, and enter your info. Or are you trying to do something more?

sciman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2004
UK
Hi Guys sorry for the delayed response, got pulled away.

Answers:

1/ The DNS is being provided by the ISP, so don't have to mess around with text file listings etc. I believe that the MX files should generate them selves.

2/ I am trying to setup my Xserver to recieve the mail from the domain providers POP account for all of our users who are listsed in the domain providers filter. This isn't an individual emac trying to access email, or am i missing something?

:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.