Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noverflow

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2002
Re: 2 things

Originally posted by boobers
1. don't pull the powercord. It corrupts the HD and you will have severe disk damage. Just hold the power button down for about 5 seconds and she'll rebooty
2. This only confirms my experience with sleep mode..since os7 i have never been able to get it to be stable enough so i don't do it..drive stays spinning and computer stays awake..only thing that gets to shut her eyes is the monitor.

reason for your number 2 is you PCI cards... you must have something in there that does not support deep sleep. Check for firmware upgrades from the companys, there may be new ones that support deep sleep

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by Jerry Spoon
If this rumor would have come from a rumor site with a better track record, would it have made the main page, or would this still be a page 2 worthy rumor?:confused:
Just wondering.

If it had come from a site which had been more accurate, it probably would have been posted on the main page. However, parts of this do contradict some other rumors out there.

The whole page1/page2 thing is an arbitrary thing, and just a guide based on my personal impression of things. Factors involved include the obvious - what site is posting the info.

Also, other factors include the actual content of the rumor, associated with collaborating information from other sites, as well as any other tidbits I might have heard but hadn't or couldn't publish.

But - it's not entirely an accuracy thing... small tidbits of info - even considered likely accurate, may just show up on Page 2... as it just doesn't seem like it would warrant an entire article.

arn

mcs37

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2003
Washington, DC
Haha, I was right!!!!!

More details will be published throughout the week on Panther as well as Apple's use of the PowerPC 970. Not only might not the 970 be called a "G5" (Apple may drop the label altogether, calling chips by their names -- new chips in the PPC 750 family from IBM will exceed 1GHz, include 512K-1MB of on-chip L2 cache, and eventually even include a Velocity Engine unit, dropping the Altivec name as Motorola is wiped completely out of Apple's system lineup).....it may show up in Powerbooks a lot sooner than once thought. There's still a chance it might take a little longer than the PowerMacs and Xserves, but the Powerbook will not only move to PowerPC 970 processors very quickly....it may even employ dual PPC 970 processors as well as an impressively updated system architecture in the 17-inch Powerbook as soon as next January.

This is exactly what I was predicting! Apple needs to use that extra area they get inside the 17" PowerBook frame, and no one in the world would have a dual 64-bit processor laptop, let alone a dual 64-bit PowerPC 17" laptop! I was hoping to get a Dual PPC 970 17" PowerBook about 1 year from now when I graduate college. I think my dad would be OK with a $3,300 graduation gift. :D

Boy I hope this is correct! I want this machine! I'm a Cornellian CS major, dammit. After suffering ulcers, insomnia, and perpetual stress, I deserve it!

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
you'll also desrve a massive battery storage, now try burning a cd with that and you could keep the sucker powered for , say , 30 mins...

(dont get me wrong, it does sound awesome!)

wrc fan

macrumors 65816
An install was attempted on a PowerMac 9600/200MP which has ran all the previous versions of Mac OS X...and we were surprised to discover that Panther simply would not install -- the installation CD would have a severe kernel panic on boot every time, whereas there was not a single problem with any other of the seven systems we installed Panther upon.

Further proof they are full of it. 10.2 will not run on a 604e. It has to be upgraded to a G3 or G4 processor (see http://eshop.macsales.com/OSXCenter/XPostFacto/framework.cfm?page=Compatibility.html), so of course Panther won't run on a 604e either.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
I hate to be logical instead of skeptical (although I have no belief for those PPC rumours) but doesn't Apple always send out different builds to different developers with each build being slightly different so that if the build gets leaked they have some ability to try and track down who is leaking.

It is more than likely that, if Piles have been added to 10.3, the build MOS received does not have them.

Zeke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2002
Greenville, SC
Re: Haha, I was right!!!!!

Originally posted by mcs37
I'm a Cornellian CS major, dammit. After suffering ulcers, insomnia, and perpetual stress, I deserve it!

I'm Cornellian Applied Physics. That's pretty cool to find another macrumors fan.

mustang_dvs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Durham, NC
MOSR -- haha

An install was attempted on a PowerMac 9600/200MP which has ran all the previous versions of Mac OS X...and we were surprised to discover that Panther simply would not install -- the installation CD would have a severe kernel panic on boot every time, whereas there was not a single problem with any other of the seven systems we installed Panther upon.

This is exactly what may be the nail in the coffin for MOSR. For one, I highly doubt that Apple or even an Apple developer under an NDA would be willing to show Panther to anyone with the sterling reputation of MOSR. But, to have us believe that ANYONE from Apple would even consider installing, let alone making an example of installing any version of OS X onto a pre-G3 machine really takes the cake. And you'll never convince me that someone from Apple would risk the wrath of Steve by giving a bungling rumor/fiction site a pre-developer build of Panther.

As it is, MOSR it seems, has not learned the importance of setting their site permissions to ensure that the public can actually see their page, let alone sneak into Cupertino's laboratories. For a site so dependant upon donations, it seems that they do like to make it difficult to give them money.

The death knell for MOSR's lackluster credibility was about six months ago, when they clearly and emphatically stated that there would not be any new iBook revisions for at least two to three months and the next day, Apple revised the iBook. (IIRC)

Personally, I'd put more stock in http://www.CrazyAppleRumors.com than MOSR (which doesn't even own http://www.mosr.com anymore).

Spart

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2002
Iowa
Bah!

I think MacRumors needs a Page 3 or "wild fantasy" page for idiots like Meader. His rants deserve Page 2 coverage about as much as the quarterly earnings of Frito Lay, Inc. Both are equally irrelevant. In fact, I would venture to say that I would rather see the quarterly earnings of Frito Lay, being as Meader's (MOSR's) crap is a form of anti-info.

Stop linking to the guy's site and let it die. :D

Yarddog

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2003
Look, I read MOSR for the same reason I read the page 2 rumors here. Don't insult my intelligence by posting over and over that MOSR is crap and haven't been right for many moons. I know that, but I choose to read them anyway. I don't buy anything based on their recon, and don't delay buying anything based on their recon. As far as rumor sites, go we all know that MacRumors and Thinksecret are the best. There is no need to keep rehashing the same old tired stuff every time someone posts a quote from MOSR.

That being said, I find a few things wrong with their article posted today (19th). I find it laughable that Apple will start naming their processors by name rather than Gen #. I can't see them calling the new powermacs the Powermac 970 or PM 7450, etc. That is too Dell for me to believe.

Also, I could care less about piles. However, I don't see the lack of piles in the build that MOSR saw (?) as any evidence as to the lack of this feature in 10.3. But it does seem to make it less likely. I remember the "minimize in place" feature was taken out of late Jaguar builds and everyone thought they would make it back. Well they haven't yet.

It is interesting to think about an altivec enabled G3 iBook also. This might also make for an interesting multimedia settop box.

Yes it was AppleInsider that posted the pics of the B&W Powermac the night before they were released.

What every happened to Apple Recon anyway? With Rob whats-his-name. I miss those guys too. I remember he almost died from pancreatitis once and took a long hiatus. He's been off the scene for a long time now. Did he die? Does anyone know? He was a bit hard to read, but seemed to have a handle on some of apple's longer term strategy. Made for some interesting reading.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
I think MacRumors needs a Page 3 or "wild fantasy" page

You don't realise how funny thought sound in the UK, we already have the babelicous wallpaper thread so that's close to page 3 if only there were more b00bies on display ;)

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Originally posted by Yarddog
I find it laughable that Apple will start naming their processors by name rather than Gen #. I can't see them calling the new powermacs the Powermac 970 or PM 7450, etc. That is too Dell for me to believe.

You know, when I read that, I thought more like naming their machines and advertising as such ... you know, like "The New Apple Macintosh 'Hole Ripper'" or, less poetically, "Meet the new Mac: Jack. And cousin, Steve." 'Course, it's only a matter of time before some marketing genius just jumps the shark completely and names the latest "Truck".

I dunno ... sounds just a hair more probable than "PowerMac 7450" to me ...

Jimong5

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
I think Apple will take an approach with the PowerMacs similar to the rest of the Line. Its not the iMac G4, Or Power Book G4 (anymore) Its just iMac and Powerbook. And know apple, to describe the 970: " A blazingly Fast Power PC processor with velocity engine" or they may just call it a 970, but i cant see dropping G3/G4...

mcs37

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2003
Washington, DC
Re: Re: Haha, I was right!!!!!

Originally posted by Zeke
I'm Cornellian Applied Physics. That's pretty cool to find another macrumors fan.

Hey Zeke! Good to see another Cornellian on the site. I'm a rising switcher (err, "mixer" I suppose). I'm on coop with IBM this semester but when I'm done in August and head back to Ithaca, I hope to be armed with a 12" PowerBook Rev B. Hopefully with a PPC 970 processor, but at least a 1 GHz G4 w/ 1 MB of L3 cache.

Go Big Red!

Wonder Boy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2003
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by noverflow
The best thing that they ever reported was after they released the 733 power mac.

They claimed that a dual 1.oghz powerbook would be on its way in 6-9months...

For anyone new.
MacOSRumors is NOW the worst rumors site in the known internet.

you have a better chance of getting things right buy spinning a selection wheel

I don't know, macwhispers is pretty bad too...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.