Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

43summer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2018
U.K.
Hi, problem with my 2016 MacBook. Over the last few weeks it’s been intermittent whilst charging on its single usb c port. Sometimes works sometimes doesn’t. Now just doesn’t. Battery is now dead and won’t power even if plugged in.

Need to access my files for work etc.

Any ideas would be much appreciated as I need access.

Cable and charger are fine as tried in another laptop and tried alternative charger. So must be something onboard.

Please help

sbuntin

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
Portland OR
Try resetting the SMC. If that doesn't work, take it in for service.
From https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295 /
How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac
  1. Choose Apple menu > Shut Down.
  2. After your Mac shuts down, press Shift-Control-Option on the left side of the built-in keyboard, then press the power button at the same time. Hold these keys and the power button for 10 seconds. If you have a MacBook Pro with Touch ID, the Touch ID button is also the power button.
  3. Release all keys.
  4. Press the power button again to turn on your Mac.

43summer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2018
U.K.
Sadly it won’t turn on to try this.

Try resetting the SMC. If that doesn't work, take it in for service.
From https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295 /
How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac
  1. Choose Apple menu > Shut Down.
  2. After your Mac shuts down, press Shift-Control-Option on the left side of the built-in keyboard, then press the power button at the same time. Hold these keys and the power button for 10 seconds. If you have a MacBook Pro with Touch ID, the Touch ID button is also the power button.
  3. Release all keys.
  4. Press the power button again to turn on your Mac.

mattlee4201

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2018
Sadly it won’t turn on to try this.
I have the same exact issue with my 2015 12" Macbook. I haven't done anything out of the ordinary and this just happened randomly.

I noticed the faster battery drain a few days ago, then one day the laptop stopped responding to any combination of keys (tried all steps recommended by Apple without luck). All of the above didn't work probably due to firmware / hardware issues with the charging circuit or the battery? (there is no "chime" sound or battery low screen upon connecting to power).

I also came across someone's recent post from iFixit detailing the same issue. My Macbook also gets warm in the logic board area when I plug it in, so maybe it's got to do with unresponsive logic board, stuck in firmware loop (with unresponsive display / keyboard)?

I wonder if this is a defect that surfaces over time (time will tell) for any 12" Macbook users. I also installed MacOS Mojave a few days ago as well - perhaps this contributes to the bricking? Would love to hear more from 12" Macbook users with Mojave installed.
[doublepost=1539064496][/doublepost]I just found out something interesting by chance. The Force Touch trackpad, if you recall, makes the clicking "noise" and "feel" artificially. This will only work if there's power delivered to the haptic feedback vibration engine below.

You can tell if the machine is "on" by trying to click on it - if it makes nose/vibrate, then the machine is technically on. Now try pressing and holding the power button while clicking the trackpad once a second until it no longer "click"s (machine powered off). You can turn it on again by pressing on the power button once gently and the "click" will reappear (machine powered on).

However, both screen and keyboard are unresponsive when the machine is "on" - hence the bricking. I'm leaning towards a stuck firmware/hardware issue - possibly with Mojave - now. I'll try to keep it "on" until it completely drains of battery for a few days and try to recharge it - hoping to do a complete power drain/cycle.

43summer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2018
U.K.
I have the same exact issue with my 2015 12" Macbook. I haven't done anything out of the ordinary and this just happened randomly.

I noticed the faster battery drain a few days ago, then one day the laptop stopped responding to any combination of keys (tried all steps recommended by Apple without luck). All of the above didn't work probably due to firmware / hardware issues with the charging circuit or the battery? (there is no "chime" sound or battery low screen upon connecting to power).

I also came across someone's recent post from iFixit detailing the same issue. My Macbook also gets warm in the logic board area when I plug it in, so maybe it's got to do with unresponsive logic board, stuck in firmware loop (with unresponsive display / keyboard)?

I wonder if this is a defect that surfaces over time (time will tell) for any 12" Macbook users. I also installed MacOS Mojave a few days ago as well - perhaps this contributes to the bricking? Would love to hear more from 12" Macbook users with Mojave installed.
[doublepost=1539064496][/doublepost]I just found out something interesting by chance. The Force Touch trackpad, if you recall, makes the clicking "noise" and "feel" artificially. This will only work if there's power delivered to the haptic feedback vibration engine below.

You can tell if the machine is "on" by trying to click on it - if it makes nose/vibrate, then the machine is technically on. Now try pressing and holding the power button while clicking the trackpad once a second until it no longer "click"s (machine powered off). You can turn it on again by pressing on the power button once gently and the "click" will reappear (machine powered on).

However, both screen and keyboard are unresponsive when the machine is "on" - hence the bricking. I'm leaning towards a stuck firmware/hardware issue - possibly with Mojave - now. I'll try to keep it "on" until it completely drains of battery for a few days and try to recharge it - hoping to do a complete power drain/cycle.
[doublepost=1539090522][/doublepost]Booked my mac in for a “genius” appointment. Was far from that. After sitting around for a while. Comes back saying he doesn’t know what is wrong with it but it’s a flat fee 575 plus tax for the repair.

I’m pretty sure it just needs a replacement usb c socket installed. There a guide on Ifixit and parts are only $30. Has anybody done this before ?

mattlee4201

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2018
I also went to a genius bar appointment. Basically he said it would be $575 + tax to send it in for repair. Nothing they could do. They didn't even bother opening up to inspect / do a manual SMC reset.

He tried plugging it into an external display but it didn't work, so he thought it was a logic board issue (along with display as well possibly).

At this point it's not worth spending that much on a 3 year old product so looking forward to the next sale / Macbook...

mattlee4201

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2018
In case anyone else has the same problem later, I've found the solution.

I took it to a third party repair shop and got diagnosed with a failure with U4700 USB-C communication controller on the logic board. According to the technician this is a pretty common failure mode with this model.

The labor + part + tax cost $300 total, fixed in 3 days - less than half the $575+ tax and 3 weeks Apple quoted me. I highly recommend taking your broken Apple gear elsewhere first (if out of warranty as it voids it).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.