Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac Me Up

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2005
Australia
Well I went to the Apple store, and had one last look at the 12-inch powerbook. They had it sitting next to the 15-inch and I had a play with them for a while. Then something weird happened...I changed my mind :eek: . Not to worry, it wasn't about buying a Mac, instead I decided to go 15-inch instead.

The service in the store was pretty lousy, and the guy didn't know all that much about the powerbooks, so I've ordered it online instead (saved some money too :) )

So yeah I'll have to wait a bit longer to get it, but it will be worth it. Finally I live up to my nick Mac Me Up baby! :D

ariechel

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2005
Possible scenario

Apple knows that people will be wary of purchasing the first Intel-based Powerbooks. If a new PPC-based Powerbook is released, all the people who have been putting off their Powerbook purchases will buy one to tide them over until the second or third generation of Intel-based Powerbooks is released.

It stands to reason that, if Apple does not want to see poor sales of its first Intel-based Powerbooks, it will not release a PPC-based Powerbook for many months before its first Intel-based Powerbooks appear. If Apple does not release a final PPC-based Powerbook, people will likely be so desperate for anything new that they will even purchase a first-revision Intel-based Powerbook.

Intel-based Powerbooks at MWSF? Marketing (if not software availability, etc.) seems to say yes.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Mac Me Up said:
Well I went to the Apple store, and had one last look at the 12-inch powerbook. They had it sitting next to the 15-inch and I had a play with them for a while. Then something weird happened...I changed my mind :eek: . Not to worry, it wasn't about buying a Mac, instead I decided to go 15-inch instead.

The service in the store was pretty lousy, and the guy didn't know all that much about the powerbooks, so I've ordered it online instead (saved some money too :) )

So yeah I'll have to wait a bit longer to get it, but it will be worth it. Finally I live up to my nick Mac Me Up baby! :D

When it finally arrives, don't open it until MW Paris is over. Who knows if there'll be a PB update or not. If there is one, you'll be able to return it without a restock fee. Just something to consider as that's what I'd do.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
blaskillet4 said:
True, I'm glad I won't be part of the 3 thousand dollar beta test... :eek:

Don't worry, it will just be another class action suit and a voucher for a new powerbook replacement.

Euan

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2005
UK
ariechel said:
If Apple does not release a final PPC-based Powerbook, people will likely be so desperate for anything new that they will even purchase a first-revision Intel-based Powerbook.
True... I might just buy myself an electric drum kit instead :D

slimflem

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2005
I can honestly say that I have never been more satisfied with a piece of hardware than I am with the PowerBook. I think it's just an amazing piece of work. Some evenings I can't even go to bed...I'm just glued to it.

I go to a local coffee shop around the corner from where I live that has free wireless and hang out, drink some coffee, check out the hot girls...the typical stuff. There are usually at least 5 or 6 others with laptops. In the time I have been coming here, I have only seen one person with a PowerBook other than myself. All the others are these large clunky looking, thick, fat, squared-off Dell's, Compaq's, HP's, etc. I mean, I'm not trying to bash these brands, well kinda, but I just don't find *any* of them attractive, at all. They don't have classy styling, they are all either black or some off-dirty-gray-cheapy-plastic looking thing. I am so thankful some guys at work have PowerBooks and I was able to check them out before buying. I was immediately in love with them. I am so proud of this thing it's not funny.

I don't find the lack of 4 or 6 usb ports, dual-layer writers, faster bus speeds, etc. to be any sort of problem at all. If you really need more than 2 usb devices hooked up at once, then get yourself a little hub, done. The quality of the PB, the existence of every connection type you need, the flawless working of the AirPort wireless and the absolute rock-solid OS X is like a dream come true for me. I have had zero problems. I just love it....can't you tell. It's my first laptop, but I have used many. When I see other brand laptops now, I just think they are inferior. I think I have become jaded in my 2 weeks of owning my PowerBook...maybe somewhat arrogant about it...but damn, it is that good.

:D

Detlev_73

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2004
Roswell, GA
I hope not

I just a 15" Powerbook a week ago! This money was burning a hole in my pocket. It's SWEET!!! Absolutely love it. Complements my G5 very well. Airport is awesome, it's just as fast as a wired connection, or at least seems as fast.

Nereus

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2005
Uppsala, Sweden
What do you do in case there is no upgrade at Apple Paris Expo?

I was thinking something like this:

Upgrade - buy
Price drop, but no upgrade until next year - buy

No upgrade and no price drop but statement that there will be no PowerBooks until January - buy?
No upgrade, no price drop, and no statement when an upgrade will come - buy?

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
MUCKYFINGERS said:
Thinkpads are pretty cool if you want a Windows machine...

thinkpads are the only other laptop i would spend my hard earned money on. i work in the IT department at my current employer and i have seen ALOT of laptops come and go. the ones that are still churning are the thinkpads. the compaqs, dells, hp's, gateways...they all suck. cheaply made, flimsy, pieces of doodoo.

i made my work buy me a thinkpad t42 earlier this year and it is an AWESOME laptop. the only other laptop that can whip its ass is of course, none other than the marvelous powerbook. =)

m4r71n1

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2005
just one?

Mac Me Up said:
I mean in hardware terms - Radeon 9700 vs the current X800's, G4 vs Pentium M, and yes 4 USB ports should be minimum, 2 is just weird, 'superdrive' vs dual layer 8x dvd burners, etc. It's not that bad, but it does seem like at a hardware level that the powerbook is at least one generation behind a modern PC laptop. ;)

I'd say theyre alot further behind than most PC laptops. Yes of course the difference between dual layer burners and pentium M vs. G4. The gfx card lags behind much more significantly than one generation. Radeon 9700 is not only a premium price for mac but at least 4 generations behind. The G4 is also at least 4. The superdrive is also not the greatest out. In addition, the hardrive is far beyond simply out of date. With more stylish computers coming out from Windows laptops, it becomes questionable to purchase a Mac. The main thing that mac has going for it is it's OS (and of course thus its lack of viruses). Personally, I am steering away from Mac laptops til' Mactels come out because the currents hardware specs for the Powerbook are weak.

m4r71n1

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2005
slimflem said:
I just love it....can't you tell. It's my first laptop, but I have used many. When I see other brand laptops now, I just think they are inferior. I think I have become jaded in my 2 weeks of owning my PowerBook...maybe somewhat arrogant about it...but damn, it is that good.

:D

Shallow... haha.. but yea... mac laptops are best because they look so godamned nice. But really, in my opinion, it isnt worth the cash to spend that much on a good looking computer. You can also buy a pretty sony one too or even an acer ferrari branded one which looks quite sleek. For some reason you dont see any other laptops that look like the apple one... Wouldnt some PC company just steal those good looks.

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
would powerbooks look as kewl if more people had them? ibooks look pretty nice as well.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
I dont understand how difficult it is for Apple to at least just slightly upgrade some of the more staple stuff, like HD or Ram or something... 768mb Ram and a SuperDrive on the 12" models would be a pretty easy mini update to implement and make the PowerBooks far more value for the hefty price that they are.

paperinacup

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2005
Project said:
I dont understand how difficult it is for Apple to at least just slightly upgrade some of the more staple stuff, like HD or Ram or something... 768mb Ram and a SuperDrive on the 12" models would be a pretty easy mini update to implement and make the PowerBooks far more value for the hefty price that they are.

12" models already have superdrives.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
Sorry, I was referring to the base model 12", which doesnt have a superdrive. I would remove the 12" combo model, and move the 12" SD down to the combos price, and then move each model down one where there would be a gap. That would create a much tighter line of PowerBooks that are way more price competitive.

supafly1703

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2004
Free Mighty Mouse?

Mac Me Up said:
Well ladies and gentleman, I'm off to buy one now :D

12" inch powerbook, with superdrive...it comes with a free mighty mouse as well. Not that I like the mouse (you mean I have to lift my left finger off the mouse to make a right-click *meh*), but free is free!

When I said it was a bit old, it's true. I'm just being objective. Truth be told though it doesn't really make me want it any less.

In about an hours time, I'll be a true switcher :cool:

Since when do Mighty Mice come free with Powerbooks?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.