Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdbdallas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2007
Please tell me that there is a way to really sync mail and not just my accounts?!?!?

According to the iPhone manual:

Note: Syncing an email account to iPhone copies the email account setup, not the messages themselves. Whether the messages in your inbox appear on both iPhone and your computer depends on the type of email account you have and how it’s configured.

Lame, lame and more lame!

How hard is it to setup the mail account yourself!
Please give us a way to sync MAIL and not just accounts!

I just wish I would have known this before I worked my butt off to get everything from Thunderbird into Mail.app. Guess I can go back to Thunderbird now...

So I assume the way to do the "sync" myself would be to move from POP to IMAP?
If so can anyone shed some light on if this is an easy change or not?
(Both on a Linux server and a MS 2003 server)

kdbdallas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2007
yea

Yea I want to always have my inbox with me.
I setup my linux server to do IMAP so that one is ok now, but a true sync would be better.

unity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
Green Bay, WI
Well IMAP is the only true way to sync really. So with POP all I can suggest is that if you REALLY need your old messages, send them to yourself. You may also want to set the mail client option on the computer to "leave a copy of message on server" so when you mail client check for mail, the iPhone can still get its copy - however, if the iPhone gets it it will delete it off the server - I did not look to see if the iPhone has the same "leave a copy" setting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.