Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tgiak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2019
United Kingdom
Hello,

I had a FaceTime interview, a group interview with roughly 15 people and a 3rd interview with 5 people. They said that they will reply to us latest until yesterday, but I got nothing. One of the candidates which I kept contact with told me that he got a phone call after 2-3 day that he got the job. I'm so nervous. What should I do?

Thank you.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
do you think I should give them a call?
I would just wait to hear from them. Spend your time working on finding alternatives. I suggest working at a shoe store which will cultivate a life long love of footwear that sees you spending too much money even 20 years later. Or, at least, that's what I've done. :)

Reactions: tgiak

tgiak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2019
United Kingdom
You can but if they suddenly stopped communicating you may have gotten the answer - just not the one you were hoping for :(
I know. To be honest with you, they had trouble sending me an email for the 2nd interview, which I don't know why.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
do you think I should give them a call?

If you have their email address then I’d email expressing your continued interest and that you’re looking forward to hearing from them.

I’m not sure of the position but I always follow up each interview with a thank you letter or email.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

nouveau_redneck

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2017
Yes, definitely call. Let them know you want to be part of the team. It could make the difference if they are on the fence.

nouveau_redneck

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2017
Or it's a sign of desperation. I would not call.

If after the first interview and no call back, then, yes, I would agree with you. After the third, there is evidence that he/she is liked and in the running. A polite, upbeat, follow-up could make the difference. And if the position has already gone to someone else, it shows interest and could put the OP in a good spot for the next time they want someone.

I've been involved in hiring, and eagerness and initiative is a good thing. It can even be better in some positions than experience and qualifications.

tgiak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2019
United Kingdom
After my phone call yesterday, I got an email at 1AM (YES 1AM AFTER MIDNIGHT), letting me know that they have chosen to move forward with other candidates.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
After my phone call yesterday, I got an email at 1AM (YES 1AM AFTER MIDNIGHT), letting me know that they have chosen to move forward with other candidates.

Well, I guess that answers the immediate question of whether you were selected or not.

However, for what it is worth, I am of the opinion that you may have responded too quickly by phoning yesterday, - and that - irrespective of when they said they would revert - it might have been a better idea to let it lie for a further day or so before sending a polite email asking when you could expect to hear from them about the outcome of the process.

tgiak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2019
United Kingdom
Well, I guess that answers the immediate question of whether you were selected or not.

However, for what it is worth, I am of the opinion that you may have responded too quickly by phoning yesterday, - and that - irrespective of when they said they would revert - it might have been a better idea to let it lie for a further day or so before sending a polite email asking when you could expect to hear from them about the outcome of the process.
I called because another guy I know got a phone call 5 days before the deadline they set.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I called because another guy I know got a phone call 5 days before the deadline they set.

Yes, but he is not you, and that may have meant that they had clearly chosen to make an offer to him, or to select him, and it means that they may have made their mind up about him very quickly.

Going by the tone of the posts you have written here, you may have run the risk of coming across as desperate.

If a company says that they will contact you by a given date, quite often, they will not, as that deadline may slip by a day or two.

My own rule of thumb is to allow a number of days (from the supposed contact date) to lapse, then to write (or phone) politely to ask when you can expect to be notified about the outcome of your application, or of the process.

Quite often, such delays have come about because they are waiting to see whether the people who have been selected will accept the offer; in turn, that will probably mean that you may be on a reserve list of candidates, or have scored lower down the ranking list than those who have been offered positions first.

In that case, you may receive a phone call days later if someone - to whom a position has been offered - chooses not to accept that position, in which case, depending on where you ranked in he process, you may receive an offer.

tgiak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2019
United Kingdom
Yes, but he is not you, and that may have meant that they had clearly chosen to make an offer to him, or to select him, and it means that they may have made their mind up about him very quickly.

Going by the tone of the posts you have written here, you may have run the risk of coming across as desperate.

If a company says that they will contact you by a given date, quite often, they will not, as that deadline may slip by a day or two.

My own rule of thumb is to allow a number of days (from the supposed contact date) to lapse, then to write (or phone) politely to ask when you can expect to be notified about the outcome of your application, or of the process.

Quite often, such delays have come about because they are waiting to see whether the people who have been selected will accept the offer; in turn, that will probably mean that you may be on a reserve list of candidates, or have scored lower down the ranking list than those who have been offered positions first.

In that case, you may receive a phone call days later if someone - to whom a position has been offered - chooses not to accept that position, in which case, depending on where you ranked in he process, you may receive an offer.
Do you believe that after a rejection email, they may offer me a job?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Do you believe that after a rejection email, they may offer me a job?

No, not now.

Bear in mind that you did very well to get as far as the third interview - take some solace from that, and put it down to experience.

Nevertheless, I am still of the opinion that you response too swiftly, and may run the risk of sounding desperate.

However, I suspect that the delay in responding to you - was, because, as @tobefirst suggests below - they were waiting to hear back from a candidate to whom an offer was made whether or not they intended to accept the offer.

I don't know how Apple Store hiring works, but maybe you aren't their first choice and they are waiting to hear whether someone else accepts the job before telling you you didn't get it.

Exactly.

This is what I thought, also.

Remember the rule, don't call for at least 2 days after.

Or it's a sign of desperation. I would not call.

Agree completely.

tgiak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2019
United Kingdom
No, not now.

Bear in mind that you did very well to get as far as the third interview - take some solace from that, and put it down to experience.

Nevertheless, I am still of the opinion that you response too swiftly, and may run the risk of sounding desperate.

However, I suspect that the delay in responding to you - was, because, as @tobefirst suggests below - they were waiting to hear back from a candidate to whom an offer was made whether or not they intended to accept the offer.

Exactly.

This is what I thought, also.

Agree completely.
Thank you for your opinions and replies. I think it's time to move on.

Reactions: yaxomoxay
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.