Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ilightworkx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2024
Hello this is my first time asking my questions on a platform. I have searched the whole net but have not found any answers that relate to my topic. My english is not so good so I am using a translator tool which works quite well.
I have had a _Apple Power Macintosh G4/733 (Quicksilver) _ since 2003 which I have reactivated.
unfortunately i followed an advice from the net and made the nvram pram and default set and reset all via open firm ware display.
Whenever I try to boot the G4 with a keyboard combination, for example alt + start, the screen remains dark "no signal" the boot manager seems to work because when I press "enter" the G4 boots from the hard disk (there is only one so far)
It is not the original graphics card, it is an ATI Rage128 Pro 16MB AGP Video Card Apple Edition.
After I discovered the "error", I reinstalled the original combo update from apple mac os x 10.4.11 combo, download original from the apple site.
The screen still remains dark!
Could it be that the settings in the open firmware do not create the device tree and do not recognize the graphics card and the screen during the startup process?
How do I get into the open firmware after the system has booted normally and I start the "terminal", for example?

I will test the VGA output today, at the moment the dvi output of the graphics card is connected to the screen.

thank you very much best regards ilighworkx from berlin
Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
It is not the original graphics card, it is an ATI Rage128 Pro 16MB AGP Video Card Apple Edition.
I will test the VGA output today, at the moment the dvi output of the graphics card is connected to the screen.
What is the native resolution of the screen? The ATI Rage 128 Pro has issues with resolutions higher than 1600×1024 via DVI.

Was ist die native Auflösung des Monitors? Die ATI Rage 128 Pro hat Probleme mit höheren Auflösungen als 1600×1024 über DVI.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheShortTimer

ilightworkx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2024
Hi !
the screen i'm using has a resolution of 1280 x 1024 xvga, i checked the vga output yesterday and everything works great, now i see the boot mode again, the G4 runs again as i have it, even booting from a WD 240gb SSD hard disk is stable. the graphics card "hung up" dvi out still doesn't work.
question are there extra drivers to download on the net?
Many thanks for your answer
greetings ilightworkx

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
What is the native resolution of the screen? The ATI Rage 128 Pro has issues with resolutions higher than 1600×1024 via DVI.

That explains why the ATI Rage 128 Pro in my PM G4 couldn't provide my TV with a picture beyond the boot phase.

Last edited:

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
That explains why after the ATI Rage 128 Pro in my PM G4 couldn't provide my TV with a picture beyond the boot phase.
Was it a “1080p” TV connected via DVI/HDMI? Yeah, higher resolutions (I tested up to 2048×1536) will work unless they’re running into the GPU’s pixel clock limit … until Mac OS boots.

ilightworkx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2024
Hi,
the only topic that drives me now is which graphics cards can I install in this mac, possibly one with better performance, the statements in different platforms are very different. I would like to have a "plug and play" solution ;-) if that is possible, if anyone here has an idea???? many thanks ilightworkx

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Was it a “1080p” TV connected via DVI/HDMI? Yeah, higher resolutions (I tested up to 2048×1536) will work unless they’re running into the GPU’s pixel clock limit … until Mac OS boots.

Yes, exactly that set-up: DVI to HDMI with a 1080p TV. When the log-in screen approaches, the display switches to black.

Reactions: Amethyst1

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Hi,
the only topic that drives me now is which graphics cards can I install in this mac, possibly one with better performance, the statements in different platforms are very different. I would like to have a "plug and play" solution ;-) if that is possible, if anyone here has an idea???? many thanks ilightworkx
First of all, do you only use OS X, or OS 9 as well? You have to prioritise one when choosing a graphics card — those which support Core Image (helps with OS X’s UI) don’t support OS 9.
Then, the card you choose either has to be a “Mac edition”, or it has to be flash-able and be flashed with a modified ROM to work with your G4.

ilightworkx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2024
Thanks for your Answer!
I only use OS X 10.4.11 with the last combo update. yes I have read about the flash see:

Here some graphics cards are presented,
Unfortunately, I can't see which ones work and which ones don't. Because it mixes this with the G5 duo.

if I have one then the question is with which sofware I flash the card. this is new territory for me with the "flash" ;-)
What about this card then? :

GeCube Radeon X1600 Pro RX1600PGA2 256MB AGP​

Thank you very much for your efforts....

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
What about this card then? :

GeCube Radeon X1600 Pro RX1600PGA2 256MB AGP​

No good. Only X1900’s can be flashed.

I have an ATI Radeon 9650 that originally came with a G5 so it doesn’t need to be flashed. It might even have pins 3 and 11 “taped” already to work in a G4 because the person I bought it from used it in a MDD. Interested?

Last edited:
Reactions: TheShortTimer

ilightworkx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2024
Hi, good morning! Thank you very much for your reply. What would you want for this graphics card? Where are you sending this graphics card from? because i also have to pay taxes here for used things at customs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.