Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Robert4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 20, 2012
Hello,

Have a iPhone 6S
It's bit on the "old" side by now, I guess.

For the first time, a small line of text appeared that
says "NO SIM"

What is this please ?
What are the implications ?

Not at all sure if this is related or not, but lately
I have had considerable difficulty in having the phone make connections
outside of the house. Says No WiFi available.
If I manually select one, though, it works

In the house, no problem.

Why might this be ?

**Any correlation to the NO SIM Msg. ?

Thanks,
Bob

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Without a proper diagnostic, it's impossible to say. Have you tried replacing the SIM card?

If the phone has been dropped or bent in any way, it can damage the soldered contacts on the logic board or antenna. Certain iPhone 7 models were particularly sensitive to this issue and Apple had a service program for a while until they determined it was due to poor user handling.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The SIM card is used to connect to whatever wireless carrier you use. Without a SIM, you can't connect to a cell tower.
You can find that SIM under a tiny door on the right edge of your 6S. You can open that door (actually a tray) with a small pin that fits into the hole you can see. A stiff push through that hole will slide open the door, with the sim card inside.
You might try opening that door, maybe cleaning the contacts on the sim card (a pencil eraser would be fine), then re-inserting the SIM card, closing the door. That might get that to work again - maybe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.