Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puertorioninja5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
Alabama
I just got a hand-me-down iPhone 4, and there is one issue that is driving me absolutely nuts.

The sound is intermittent. I.e., go to Settings, then Sounds, then Ringtone, if you select a ringtone the tone plays fine. Then you go to Text Tone and select one - all I get is a vibration.

Also, when on Control Center, there is no volume slider as shown in this screenshot.

I'm completely baffled. After I unplug this phone from my car stereo the sound works... For about a minute before it goes out again. I'm obviously not always around my stereo. Please help? :(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 663

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2013
I have the exact same problem .. And it's happening to me since many months now..I cleaned restored it, set up as a new phone , restored it with someone else's backup.. But nothing.. Only ring tones play.. No text tone or any other tone, can't listen to music, no volume in games.. Very frustrated..
And that's happening even before 7.1.2

spaceboypsy

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2014
Me too with the exact same symptoms.

Girlfriend got this phone from a friend who had never had this problem, and after a couple of days it suddenly starts doing this. Sound comes and goes. First reset fixed it. Then it seemed to break when moving Gmail app to the dock. But then it's come and gone several times since with no discernible pattern.

What is going on?

UPDATE:

Found this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1393905/

And followed what this post said, and that seems to have fixed it! Hopefully it's not just another random switch...

That happened once with my iPhone. I turned the phone off (power down), then blew some compressed air into the headphone receptacle & after that plugged a headphone jack repeatedly in & out of the phone & the problem stopped. Also turned off iTunes app & make sure it is not still on in multi-tasking.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.