Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tommaples

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2018
Hi guys,
Yesterday I turned on my iMac and it played the start chime, but then I noticed it had stopped playing any other sound from any program.

It had been plugged into my TV via a Thunderbolt Cable the night before (this was still plugged in when I started it up) so I closed all programs, unplugged that, went to sound preferences and made sure 'internal speakers' was selected. Still no sound from any other program (itunes, etc) so I went for a restart as sometimes this happens (sound card getting confused? Who knows...) but the restart didn't work. I turned it completely off and then back on again just for luck but same problem.

The last thing I did was reset the PRAM, but that has done nothing too!

Any tips on what the problem might be??
Cheers,
Tom

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Check "sound" preference pane?
Check "Audio/Midi Setup" app (in the utilities folder)?

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
Hi guys,
Yesterday I turned on my iMac and it played the start chime, but then I noticed it had stopped playing any other sound from any program.

It had been plugged into my TV via a Thunderbolt Cable the night before (this was still plugged in when I started it up) so I closed all programs, unplugged that, went to sound preferences and made sure 'internal speakers' was selected. Still no sound from any other program (itunes, etc) so I went for a restart as sometimes this happens (sound card getting confused? Who knows...) but the restart didn't work. I turned it completely off and then back on again just for luck but same problem.

The last thing I did was reset the PRAM, but that has done nothing too!

Any tips on what the problem might be??
Cheers,
Tom

Perhaps you have a pair of headphones plugged in, or some other plug in the headphone socket?

tommaples

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2018
Check "sound" preference pane?
Check "Audio/Midi Setup" app (in the utilities folder)?

Hi thanks for replying - I've checked both of these and 'Built in output: Internal speakers' is showing up fine in both, just not playing any actual sound!
[doublepost=1519375273][/doublepost]Bit of an update on this - so now when I plug a set of headphones in, the sound comes out through those fine, once that happens I unplug them and the sound suddenly comes out of the speakers again! But then when I restart my machine (with nothing plugged into it) the sound is gone again until I repeat the headphones plug-in-and-unplug procedure!!

This will be super annoying to have to do every time I start up my machine, any idea what could be causing this and what the fix might be (aside from reinstalling the OS or something similarly brutal)?

Wysardi

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2018
go to activity monitor and do a search for coreaudiod in the processes. click on quit and it will automatically restart.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.