Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

InfamousRyan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2014
Yesterday, I installed Windows 8 using Bootcamp on my Macbook Pro (Early 2011) . The installation process completed, and everything was working perfectly except for the sound. I installed the drivers that Bootcamp provided. I've been looking through the forums for a while and it seems everybody has solved the problem, but the solutions don't work for me. It seems that Windows doesn't detect the internal speakers. In device manager under System Devices, High Definition Audio Controller says:

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

{Operation Failed}
The requested operation was unsuccessful.

Also in device manager, there is no "Sound and Game Controllers" section. There is under the "Other Devices" section an Unknown Device that says:

The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver.

Thank you in advance for your help :)

Last edited:

biohead

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
West Drayton, UK
You've possibly done an EFI install of Windows instead of a BIOS one? An EFI install will prevent sound working on most Macs apart from the very latest ones.

Are you using a genuine disc? A USB flash drive?

InfamousRyan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2014
You've possibly done an EFI install of Windows instead of a BIOS one? An EFI install will prevent sound working on most Macs apart from the very latest ones.

Are you using a genuine disc? A USB flash drive?

When installing Windows 8 from USB there was a warning that says that Windows couldn't be installed on the partition because of the wrong format, but it let me install it anyway. Also the partition Bootcamp made was the wrong format, so I deleted it and made a new partition using the Windows installation USB.

biohead

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
West Drayton, UK
How did you create the USB flash drive? Did you use the Microsoft tool from an existing windows install, or copy the files onto a blank drive?

If you used the MS tool, you should have a BIOS install. If you copied the files you've possibly created an EFI install and that brings issues. Your best bet might be to simply burn a disc from the iso install file as that will also give you a BIOS based install.

InfamousRyan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2014
How did you create the USB flash drive? Did you use the Microsoft tool from an existing windows install, or copy the files onto a blank drive?

If you used the MS tool, you should have a BIOS install. If you copied the files you've possibly created an EFI install and that brings issues. Your best bet might be to simply burn a disc from the iso install file as that will also give you a BIOS based install.

I used Bootcamp to make a bootable USB, and I got the ISO from burning the Windows Install disc. When I downloaded the MS tool it gave me an exe file, which I couldn't use at the time because I was still using OSX.

InfamousRyan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2014

I re-installed Windows 8 from the USB I made with the MS Tool and the sound seems to be working. Thank you for your help! :)

Suren909

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2014
No Sound(Macbook Pro 8'1 Late 2011, 13" 2.7 GHz)

Hi InfamousRyan,

I have the exact same problem like you do. I'm using a Windows 8.1 ISO image and made a bootable USB using Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool. I created a bootcamp partition and tried installing this Windows 8.1 but when i select the partition i get an error saying "Windows can be installed only on GPT partition disk and the partition has an MBR partition scheme" .

Then what i had done was i re-booted into OS X removed the bootcamp partition, shrinked the OS X partition and then i tried installing again. Now i selected unallocated space for windows installation and it worked. After windows 8.1 install, i installed the bootcamp support software 5.1.5621 but no sound. I'm having the exact same problem as you do. I really need your help. Could you please share how did you made sound to work?

Which MS tool have u used for creating bootable Windows 8 USB.

Rgds,
Suren

Suren909

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2014
I got my sound back in windows 8.1 by following this video. Hope it helps you too.

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btf8G8Yk0XI

For this to work i had to install OS X Lion which was shipped with Macbook pro late 2011. Install a fresh version of Lion from internet recovery(hold command+r at mac boot up) and follow the steps.

After installing OS X Lion, install a compatible version of VMWare Fusion for Lion OS (Version 4 or 5 should work)

Instead of toastimagemounter (i had trouble using it), you can use DAEMON Tools for Mac (trial version is sufficient) to mount the windows ISO image.

Then just follow the steps as shown in the video.

Note: This method is for macs with no working Superdrive. An external DVD drive may not help since Apple has limited Windows installation for BIOS setups only through internal Superdrive.

Rgds,
Suren

S3R14L

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2014
I got my sound back in windows 8.1 by following this video. Hope it helps you too.

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btf8G8Yk0XI

For this to work i had to install OS X Lion which was shipped with Macbook pro late 2011. Install a fresh version of Lion from internet recovery(hold command+r at mac boot up) and follow the steps.

After installing OS X Lion, install a compatible version of VMWare Fusion for Lion OS (Version 4 or 5 should work)

Instead of toastimagemounter (i had trouble using it), you can use DAEMON Tools for Mac (trial version is sufficient) to mount the windows ISO image.

Then just follow the steps as shown in the video.

Note: This method is for macs with no working Superdrive. An external DVD drive may not help since Apple has limited Windows installation for BIOS setups only through internal Superdrive.

Rgds,
Suren

:):):):):):):)

Friend, Thank You Very Much!
Worked perfectly!.
You helped me a lot!

Aditya211096

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2014
India
Installed Windows8.1 on Imac, No sound at all even after the installation of Drivers.

I installed Windows8.1(VL) on my :apple:Imac a few days back and since then i have been getting this issue of no sound. There is this red cross on the sound icon at the bottom right. I have installed all the drivers(Well There is Only One-Realtek HD Audio) and after that also there is no sound. Whenever I troubleshoot it, It shows No Issues detected(It cannot find one). Please suggest me the right way to fix this problem, I have been missing all those great sound qualities in a game of FIFA or Bioshock Infinite.

I installed Windows8.1 pro by mistake on the full harddrive, I mean i removed the Mac OSX fully by mistake and now there is just Windows on My Imac!!!

QwertyBlitz

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2015

I have installed windows as an EFI install and have no sound.. You say you can install windows as a BIOS install if you use the MS tool? What is this MS tool and how can I use it to make a BIOS install rather than the EFI install I have now?

hoborobossj

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2017
cloroxbleach
I re-installed Windows 8 from the USB I made with the MS Tool and the sound seems to be working. Thank you for your help! :)
i know its been a while but when you installed it using the tool was it EFI Boot or did it say Windows, I used the MS tool and when i hold alt it only shows EFI

Digihouse

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2017
Installed Windows8.1 on Imac, No sound at all even after the installation of Drivers.

I installed Windows8.1(VL) on my :apple:Imac a few days back and since then i have been getting this issue of no sound. There is this red cross on the sound icon at the bottom right. I have installed all the drivers(Well There is Only One-Realtek HD Audio) and after that also there is no sound. Whenever I troubleshoot it, It shows No Issues detected(It cannot find one). Please suggest me the right way to fix this problem, I have been missing all those great sound qualities in a game of FIFA or Bioshock Infinite.

I installed Windows8.1 pro by mistake on the full harddrive, I mean i removed the Mac OSX fully by mistake and now there is just Windows on My Imac!!!

Hello

Well I really cannot understand how it is possible to install windows 8 and a mac and would not notice right away? anyway I have an iMac and I had no disk with it and no hard drive since I got it from a friend who happened to not using anymore so I tried many ways to install snow leopard with no success finally win10 but starting giving me trouble after screen goes black then win8.1 finally worked and also have same problem no sound from speakers and I am happy I am reading this cos since I had to take apart mine since my video card was not working I was worried if I left out a cable not plugged properly or something loose but I am sure all was in place , so for the sound in my mac I do have sound on the headphones but not from the speakers so there is 2 ways to have back your sound 1 just buy a pair of speakers and connect them to the headphones jack or you can also buy a usb sound card that will probably be better sound same thing as I did... and solved the problem...

Hope this helps...
[doublepost=1499266209][/doublepost]
No Sound(Macbook Pro 8'1 Late 2011, 13" 2.7 GHz)

Hi InfamousRyan,

I have the exact same problem like you do. I'm using a Windows 8.1 ISO image and made a bootable USB using Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool. I created a bootcamp partition and tried installing this Windows 8.1 but when i select the partition i get an error saying "Windows can be installed only on GPT partition disk and the partition has an MBR partition scheme" .

Then what i had done was i re-booted into OS X removed the bootcamp partition, shrinked the OS X partition and then i tried installing again. Now i selected unallocated space for windows installation and it worked. After windows 8.1 install, i installed the bootcamp support software 5.1.5621 but no sound. I'm having the exact same problem as you do. I really need your help. Could you please share how did you made sound to work?

Which MS tool have u used for creating bootable Windows 8 USB.

Rgds,
Suren

Hello

I had same problem but I would like to tell you how easy it can be by just delete your partition while you are installing your windows and just let the iMac adjust what is best for him... it works perfectly with less headache..

Thank you

justamsguy

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2017
Hello

Well I really cannot understand how it is possible to install windows 8 and a mac and would not notice right away? anyway I have an iMac and I had no disk with it and no hard drive since I got it from a friend who happened to not using anymore so I tried many ways to install snow leopard with no success finally win10 but starting giving me trouble after screen goes black then win8.1 finally worked and also have same problem no sound from speakers and I am happy I am reading this cos since I had to take apart mine since my video card was not working I was worried if I left out a cable not plugged properly or something loose but I am sure all was in place , so for the sound in my mac I do have sound on the headphones but not from the speakers so there is 2 ways to have back your sound 1 just buy a pair of speakers and connect them to the headphones jack or you can also buy a usb sound card that will probably be better sound same thing as I did... and solved the problem...

Hope this helps...
[doublepost=1499266209][/doublepost]

Hello

I had same problem but I would like to tell you how easy it can be by just delete your partition while you are installing your windows and just let the iMac adjust what is best for him... it works perfectly with less headache..

Thank you

It worked for me as well..

thisguyiknow

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2011
If anyone is still interested I have found the solution for audio on MBP 2011 Windows 10 UEFI installs - it has taken me 4 years to figure out. I was given the answer from a tutorial only adjacently related -here:

https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/fix-dsdt-override-to-correct-error-12/

essentially what we knew was that windows didn't 'see' the correct audio devices when booted in pure efi-

The part that was frustrating to me was that many users like myself have lots of UEFI installs on their 2011 MBP and those OS's have no problem 'seeing' the HD audio controller -

So what was windows doing different?

I had messed around with mm commands in a UEFI shell (The shell provided in the rEFIt package) to no avail*

I had tried to pass SETPCI commands from grub into Windows 10- no luck*

A quote from the link above got my brain spinning

"A Windows system's DSDT table root bridge definition (ACPI PNP0A08 or PNP0A03) is usually confined to a reserved 32-bit space (under 4GB) budgeted to be large enough to host the notebook's PCIe devices. A watermark TOLUD value is then set and locked in the system firmware. Windows OS honors the root bridge definition and will allocate PCIe devices within it. macOS ignores the root bridge constraints as too does Linux when booted with the 'pci=noCRS' parameter. Neither of those OS require a DSDT override and can allocate freely in the huge 64-bit PCIe address space"

So Windows 'honors' the root bridge and OSX and linux disregard it --hmmm interesting.

As someone who also deals in hackintoshes I am very aware of DSDT's and how editing them can help get OSX running on home brew PC hardware- I had played around with installing Clover (the UEFI bootloader almost synonymous with Hackintoshes) on USB thumb drives and putting the DSDT from my MBP 2011 in the /Clover/ACPI/Windows folder - still nothing-- I thought that pointing windows to a DSDT would be enough.......

A side note is that there are people who have 'bricked' their real Macs when using clover, I have never had that issue personally (a sub-link in the link above describes such a situation)*

If you follow the guide and make a modified DSDT (one that add 'qwords' to the dwords section) you can test it in two ways-

I used Maciasl to extract and edit my DSDT to add a 'Qword' section - I placed the DSDT in two locations /EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched [not sure if that one matters] & /EFI/Clover/ACPI/Windows

holding ALT/option during bootup I selected "EFI Boot" from the USB clover and booted into Clover

for the exact Clover configuration send me a message

After booting into windows the sound card was immediately working (this was because I had installed the cirrus logic drivers from bootcamp 4) - the display audio driver in device manager had an exclamation point but I was able to install the display audio driver from intel's driver support for the i7 2470m CPU in this machine-

I also looked at device manager via 'by resources' and saw that a new entry 'Large memory with an address range appeared

And low and behold the address range for the 'large memory section' contained the range for the hd audio controller

I then wanted to see if the method described in the initial link posted above where you force that memory map into the registry and turn on 'test signing' worked --

it did, which allowed me to boot directly into windows without the help of clover --

*NOTE: when I tested the registry method I skipped the first few steps since I already had a modified DSDT- I did need to create the 'C:\dsdt folder and extract the windows binaries to that folder - but I did not use their acpi dump nor compiler (I check for errors and compiled my dsdt in Maciasl in OSX)

I would gladly go more in depth but I doubt there are many more who need this information- just glad to have figured it out without the BIOS emulation of bootcamp- going to test this method on other 'pre 2013' Macs with non complient UEFI bios'

Reactions: swystunt

swystunt

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2019
would you be willing to go into more depth into how to accomplish have a couple clients who have MBP 2011s still and i use patched installers to keep them update since they have been heavily updated. Some of these have windows installed and while researching they went on to customize and setup their machines. Hate to have to nuke all of them just due to image installing in UEFI mode. thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.