Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joska90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
I fear that the sound card in my PB has died . I have a Powerbook G4 Titanium 1GHz. First the speakers went ,then no sound was being out putted through the headphone jack . I have checked my system preferences and also repaired permissions, reinstalled tiger and have updated to 10.4.3. I have also flushed the P ram with no joy. I am working in China at the moment and I took it to the one Apple shop I found. My Chinese is not very good and was sightly confused with there diagnostics. Which was that liquid had got in somehow through the speakers and shorted the sound card . It was going to cost in the region of £400-£450 to replace , it is so expensive as it is attached to the logic board and thats is what needs replacing.

My question is would buying a usb headphone or sound-card like the ones M-audio make maybe get around this problem? I have had no other problems with any programs I run except the lack of sound... which is i am sure you would agree very irritating.

Appreciate any feedback on this one.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
A USB, FireWire or PCMCIA soundcard with Mac drivers (very important) should completely bypass the built in "soundcard" (actually part of the core logic chipset I think) and work fine. Certainly a cheaper option than a new logic board!

joska90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Thanks for your speedy and positive reply! Going to have a look at whats my best option and find out more about PCMCIA soundcards. Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.