Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
I'm new to iPhone and finding some things frustrating! The latest one is that, when using CarPlay, I don't get any sound when I receive a message. It's only when I get out of the car and look at my phone that I realise I've got messages.

I usually listen to the radio via CarPlay, so audio from phone to car is definitely working.

MathAviation7

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2020
I don’t think you get text alerts on CarPlay, just the text banner appears. This is probably to prevent drivers from getting distracted.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I'm new to iPhone and finding some things frustrating! The latest one is that, when using CarPlay, I don't get any sound when I receive a message. It's only when I get out of the car and look at my phone that I realise I've got messages.

I usually listen to the radio via CarPlay, so audio from phone to car is definitely working.
If your iPhone is in silent mode (the switch on the side) try turning that off and seeing what happens. The phone rings for an incoming call so don’t see why it shouldn’t work for texts but it annoys me too. I don’t even get the banner. Just the little red notification dot which I never notice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.