Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macisperfect

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2015
I am having this strange error pop up a lot of times and it's only in safari. I reset all the cookies and history; re-installed Monterey twice so far and a third time this morning. I have a 13' M1 (with Touch Bar <3) and safari has just been awful since Monterey and the updates.

I keep getting this error that 'The operation could not be complete because no space left on device' I've usually checked memory at that point and there is space left. Using Firefox works but all my saved information is in safari.

Normally have apple care but didn't this time so not sure if apple support will help. Anyone have any ideas? guesses? fixes?

Worst case I can delete everything reinstall the OS and only bring cloud files?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 6.15.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 6.15.28 PM.png
    56.3 KB · Views: 516

FNH15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
When you say memory, do you mean RAM or disk space?
What version of Monterey are you running? Latest is 12.0.1.

Macisperfect

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2015
Hey, apologies. I meant it as both, I looked at RAM from activity monitor. and I have plenty of disk space (almost 50%) unused.

Yes, I have the latest version of Monterey. I reinstalled it again this morning and have opened extensive tabs today to try to recreate the error, luckily so far it is good. Will know more over the next few days.

My device has been excruciatingly slow since the last update but only as it relates to safari mostly, rarely other operations. Where safari may timeout, Firefox runs the same operation perfectly.

jblucher

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2021
I'm seeing the same thing, but it only recently started happening. I'd been on 12.0.1 for a while and now suddenly, I can only use Safari for a few minutes at a time. Force quitting or even rebooting will temporarily address the issue, but it comes right back. Plenty of disk space and no other apps running on a M1 MacBook Pro with 16GB RAM. A few minutes of browsing shouldn't cause this. I've also tried other browsers in the same session and I don't have any issue.

FNH15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
Hmmm.

What does Disk Utility show as your amount of free space?

You could also try booting in recovery and attempting to repair the disk.

jblucher

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2021
Thanks for the reply. I'll check the Disk Utility when I get home. However, I'm 99% sure that there is plenty of space on a 1TB drive on a MacBook that is only a couple weeks old. I haven't installed much, and I don't have much data. Also, if it was truly a storage or disk issue wouldn't it impact other things than Safari? Everything else (including Edge browser) works fine.

FNH15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
Thanks for the reply. I'll check the Disk Utility when I get home. However, I'm 99% sure that there is plenty of space on a 1TB drive on a MacBook that is only a couple weeks old. I haven't installed much, and I don't have much data. Also, if it was truly a storage or disk issue wouldn't it impact other things than Safari? Everything else (including Edge browser) works fine.

Ah. Something is clearly up then!
Was this a clean install or one that was migrated over from Time Machine / Migration Assistant?

jblucher

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2021
It was a fresh install. Brand new 14" MacBook M1. It came with 12.0.0 and I updated it to 12.0.1 the next day. Everything was fine for about 2 weeks and this started.

pjlamberson

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2021
I am having the same problem on a 2019 16" Macbook Pro. It happens even if I have only one tab open. The machine has 64gb of RAM, and everything works fine when I switch to Chrome. I read elsewhere to uncheck "Hide IP address from trackers" in Safari's privacy preferences, but this also did not fix the issue.

Reactions: jblucher

jblucher

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2021
I just updated to 12.1 with the hopes that this issue was resolved. Unfortunately, this is not the case. Still repros.

jblucher

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2021
What is the best way to report the issue to Apple? I've tried chatting with tech support to no avail. Is that sufficient to say that they know of the problem?

jblucher

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2021
I finally got around to testing the workaround of disabling "Hide IP address from trackers" and it seems to have done the trick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.