Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LCPepper

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 5, 2013
United Kingdom
Hello!

I've just managed to get round to installing OS X El Capitan... And as usual, the first thing I do on all OS X systems I use is turn on three finger drag.

To my complete and continuing horror, this seems to have disappeared from El Capitan. Am I just imagining it?

Why would they remove this?

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
Hello!

I've just managed to get round to installing OS X El Capitan... And as usual, the first thing I do on all OS X systems I use is turn on three finger drag.

To my complete and continuing horror, this seems to have disappeared from El Capitan. Am I just imagining it?

they moved the option to Accesibility

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Hello!

This has already been answered here: No three-finger drag gesture?

The setting was moved to System Preferences > Accessibility > Mouse & Trackpad > Trackpad Options.

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
Have you all ever tried the tap twice and hold technique? It's so much easier than three finger drag once you get accustomed to it.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Have you all ever tried the tap twice and hold technique? It's so much easier than three finger drag once you get accustomed to it.
Some of my older Macs don't support three finger drag so I've tried this method. I might be able to get used to it, but for me three finger drag works a lot better.

Naio

Cancelled
Apr 2, 2015

If I remember correctly, using tap to hold introduced lag to regular tap click?

LCPepper

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 5, 2013
United Kingdom
@redheeler Yes, I did realise/ think about that after. Just completely slipped my thought process to check it first.

I think that the three-finger drag is actually much better once you come round to the way it works. For example, you can start a drag with three fingers, and then just use one finger to slide and move things around. You never hit the end of the trackpad, you never accidentally stop holding down the trackpad, and it's just quicker than say double tap. It allows you to be ever so slightly more accurate too, I feel... Because you don't have the resistance of clicking and dragging; so it's a bit smoother. Plus, it's cool how you can throw things around the screen with it gliding and slowing down like it's loosing inertia.

Try it guys!

Whenever I am in the Apple Store, playing on the Macs, the first thing I turn on is Three-Finger Drag. It's the way forward... Kind of like HTML5 compared to Flash. That sort of thing. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.